Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 23:6

Psalm 23:6    "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

Though each verse can be seen and appreciated on its own merit, there is a connection that runs throughout this Psalm. "The LORD is my shepherd." I have read and been told that a shepherd always goes before the flock. He cannot get behind the flock and drive them because that will cause the flock to separate and cause a division in the flock. So the shepherd goes before the flock and they follow him. So it should be with our precious Lord. He is my shepherd; therefore I want and need to follow Him.

He leads me to green pastures and still waters where I can be rejuvenated and renewed in my walk with Him. He takes me in the right path which proves over and over that He is indeed my Good Shepherd and knows exactly what is right for me. Even when I feel I am in a place of darkness where fears are liable to overwhelm me, I can be steadfast because my Shepherd is watching over me and protecting me from the dangers of life.  When I feel endangered by anything that would try to overtake me, I can find something or someone during that situation who reaches out a helping hand and gives encouragement. Though we may not realize it, that is the "spiritual table" that the Lord provides for us that gives us strength and encouragement to continue on the "path of righteousness."

Then David concludes this beautiful Psalm with a declaration of truth that, in itself, encourages us. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life."  How can he make such a declaration with such impact upon himself and countless numbers of others who have read those words? How can he know goodness and mercy will follow him?  Because at this time he has looked back and seen the hand of God upon His life in so many different situations. He has seen God intervening on his behalf in the past and He knows God will not stop now. God's goodness and mercy have brought him this far and will continue on through all his life.  Having that blessed assurance, David can say (and you and I can say), "I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."  I will walk in fellowship with my Lord! How could I ever stray from this wondrous love?  I ask that question and yet I know my own human frailties, so I do not rest in my own commitment. I find rest and comfort in my Lord's commitment to me. Help me Lord to be faithful to you.

Amazing Grace (John Newton)

Through many dangers, toils and snares
We have already come
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far
And Grace will lead us home

Yes, God's grace, goodness, and mercy shall lead us all the way home.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51