Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 26:8

Psalm 26:8     "LORD, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth."

David began this Psalm with words that made me stop and scratch my head.  "Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity."  I read that sentence and wondered why anyone would lay those words down almost as a challenge: "Judge me, O LORD."  Especially after reading some of David's confessions concerning his iniquity, why would he ask the Lord to judge him?  Then I realized he was asking this concerning a particular situation.  King Saul accused David of trying to overthrow his authority. David knew, and we know, he was not trying to overthrow Saul, even though he had already been anointed as the next king of Israel. In reality, David was trying to avoid all appearances of evil concerning Saul.  He had two opportunities to kill Saul but refused to touch him because the Lord had anointed Saul to be king.

David was content to leave the situation in the Lord's hands and wait for his time to be king. So in regards to that situation, David was asking the Lord to judge his actions and even his motives in his dealings with King Saul.  Where did David learn to walk in his own integrity? Where did David learn to simply place his trust and confidence in the Lord? The answer seems to lie in our text verse for today. Though we are not told concerning the worship activity of David's family, we can be certain they walked in the statutes of the Lord. There is no doubt that Jesse, David's father, brought his family up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

I am convinced David's faith was first of all the gift of God to him. Then that faith was fed in the house of the Lord as David would express his love and devotion unto the Lord. And then the "habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwells" was in his heart as he went about his everyday activities. That devotion was expressed as he watched over his father's flocks. That devotion and confidence was expressed as he went after anything that would try to destroy his flocks. When you read the account of David going against Goliath, you definitely can see that confidence and trust expressed even as David spoke his faith in the face of opposition.  

"LORD, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth." It is in that habitation, or dwelling place, that my confidence arises because I know you are with me and you will deliver me.  He used that wonderful gift called faith against the enemies of his sheep, against the enemy of Israel, and now to protect his own integrity as he waited for his time to be king.  

Why do I need to be present in the house of the Lord?  It is there that my faith is bolstered. It is there that my confidence in the Lord is reinforced. It is there that I find people of like faith who encourage me and I can be an encouragement to them.  What is it about the house of the Lord that draws you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51