Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 27:13-14

Psalm 27:13-14    "I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  (14)  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD."

We all are subject to discouragement. We all face times when it seems the world is against us. If we allow ourselves to dwell upon those things, we would be tempted, and even prone, to throw up our hands and just give up.  When we look into the deepest recesses of our minds, we know this is true. We know it is true of others and we know it is true of ourselves. It was true of David and it is true of me.  We would have just given up if God had not given us this beautiful gift of faith that comes with salvation.  As Paul states in Romans 12:3, God has given to us "the measure of faith."

"I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD."  Aren't you thankful that God has given to us this precious ability to look beyond the storm to see the Saviour? I am thankful that our Lord, who is our Light, Strength, and Salvation, allows us to be able to see beyond that which is contrary to us to see His gracious hand stretched out to carry us through each situation.  I would just give up if I did not have that balance in life. Wouldn't you?  But we do have that balance that gives us the courage to continue.  We have the strength of the Lord. His hand is upon us. His presence is with us. We must not allow temporary situations to overcloud our belief of God's goodness.

So, what are we to do when we have those heavy clouds of fear, doubt, discouragement, and temptation hanging over our heads?  How are we to endure? Are we to fight our way through or out of it? If we go back to verse one, we soon realize we cannot do it on our own. It's when we try to do it ourselves that discouragement becomes even heavier on us.  The Lord has told us what to do. This Psalm is David's prayer unto the Lord.  So the key to endurance begins with pouring our hearts out unto the Lord. We then realize He, and only He, can help us through these times. We wait upon the LORD.  The world says, "You have to do something!"  Yes, we do. We need to wait upon the Lord and watch for Him to show His glorious power on our behalf.

What do we do while we are waiting?  We show ourselves to be children of the most High God. We live our lives to His glory and honour. I may not be able to change the world, but my Lord has changed my world. If I act like the world, I only spread darkness, not light. But if I show His glory and grace in my life, He just might use me to help someone else have some light in their life.  He helps me not to faint (get tired and give up). Should I not then share that understanding with others?  "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51