Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 27:5-6

Psalm 27:5-6   "For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.  (6)  And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD."

The things listed in these two verses are the direct result of David's desire to be in the house of the Lord.  When we can behold the beauty of the Lord in His House and we enquire of Him those things which we want to understand, God blesses us with His wisdom and understanding. He does this for us even when we do not understand what He is doing.  That might sound like double talk, but the truth is that we do not always have to understand what God is doing.  If He is our Light and our Strength and our Salvation (deliverance), then all we need to understand is this:  God is God.  The writer of Hebrews speaks of this in that great chapter on faith.  "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11:6) He is God and we should trust Him in all matters.

When we can come to that very basic understanding, there are things which the Lord does for us.  He hides us in His pavilion. This refers to a time of travel. The Lord watches over and surrounds us with His protecting grace. He hides us in the secret of his tabernacle. This speaks of His provision for us in our homes as we make our homes to be His home as well.  David spoke in verse 4, "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD."  That was not speaking of him being continually in the physical house of God; rather, David was saying I want my home to be God's home. I want my travel to be God's travel.  I desire this in all my life; therefore, my God will "set me up upon a rock." He will establish my goings to His glory and give me stability of life if I will seek Him first.

If I do those things, my head will "be lifted up above mine enemies."  This does not mean the enemies of life - disease, tragedies, discouragements, etc - will go away. But it does mean our Lord will be with us in all those times and I do not have to drop my head. I can lift my head high, not in pride, but in thanksgiving unto my Lord.  I can sing praises unto Him for all He has done and is still doing in my life.

Lord, please help me to set my desires in the proper place. Help me to have my heart and mind rested upon you, for therein is my peace and joy.  "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.  (4)  Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength." (Isaiah 26:3-4)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51