Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 28:1

Psalm 28:1     "Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit."

Too many times, I skim over a verse of Scripture without stopping to think about the underlying thoughts and needs that are being expressed by the writer.  "Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock." David is saying in these few words, "Lord, I am pouring my heart out to you because you are the only One that I can truly trust and place my dependence on."  There is a saying that goes something like this, "It is lonely at the top."  We are not told David's position when he wrote this Psalm. He could have still been that shepherd boy that sat alone on the hillside as he watched his father's flock.  He may have been the leader of the band of men who followed him as he waited his turn to be king. Or, he may have already ascended to the throne of Israel at this point. Wherever he was in his life, he had no one he could turn to for help and guidance. But, when you think back a few Psalms ago, it is only logical that David would begin this Psalm as he did. He had already said, "The LORD is my Shepherd. I shall not want."  "The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Now, he reaffirms the Lord to be his rock; that is, God was his source of strength and stability in life.

David was pouring his heart out to the Only One Who could do anything to help him through this troubled season of his life. He needed to hear back from the Lord.  "I cry unto thee, O LORD. You are my rock and my defense. Please answer me when I cry to you because in the silence I am made to feel there is no hope for me whatsoever."  Have you ever waited to hear God's answer to a prayer? We all have, haven't we? We are quick to quote (in good times) that God's time schedule and our's are different. That is true. It's always true; yet, we can become impatient while we are waiting for an answer. "Lord, I really need to hear from you now."  

But in all those trying times, it seems the Lord is teaching us lessons of life.  What are those lessons? I can't answer for you and quite honestly, I cannot always answer for myself.  It just might be that He is teaching us to exhaust all other resources and come to a complete dependence upon Him. It might be that He is reminding us that, yes, indeed He is our Rock and our Strength. It just might be that He is putting all things in place to work for our good. Whatever it might be, let us learn to lean heavily upon the Lord. Let us learn to be still before Him. Let us practice putting all the other "voices" in the world away from us in order that we might be more able to hear Him speak.

The Solid Rock by Edward Mote

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51