Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 28:7-9

Psalm 28:7-9     "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.  (8)  The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.  (9)  Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever."

It is very important to be able to place ourselves in the Word of God as we read it. If we only see it as a history lesson and something that took place a few thousand years ago, then we might be tempted to disregard it when the going gets tough for us. But if we can place our situation and our circumstance in the Word, then we can see the grace of God at work in our own lives.

For instance, David began this Psalm by letting us understand his position when times were rough for him. What did David do?  He cried out unto the Lord. All pride as king of Israel went out the window. He humbled himself before the Lord, but then his mind would begin to wander back into a wilderness, dark area. What if God does not hear me? The people I have to deal with are not nice people. They are enemies of the Word of God and therefore are contrary to my way of living. What am I to do? David's answer was, "My heart trusted in Him" and therefore because my confidence is in the Lord, "I am helped."

It is so important that we, as God's people, understand that we have One upon which we can depend. David kept saying over and over, "The Lord is my strength. The Lord is my shield. The Lord is my rock."  He didn't say this as a chant; rather, he was saying this as a constant reminder to himself.  When was the last time that I reminded myself, "The Lord is my strength. The Lord is my shield. The Lord is my rock."  Do you think it is important that we remind ourselves of this by having a heartfelt talk with ourselves?  "Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever." .... "Lift them up for ever."

"As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings." (Deuteronomy 32:11) Though Moses wrote this hundreds of years before David, I believe he was thinking upon these words (or something like them) when he declared the Lord would indeed lift His people up."  We can be sure that just as God instilled within the heart of that mother eagle to protect her young from falling to the ground,  He also will prevent us from falling.  We can say with King David, "The LORD is their (my) strength.... therefore my heart greatly rejoices."

"AND with my song will I praise Him."  Amen?  Amen!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51