Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 30:1

Psalm 30:1    "I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me."

David had much opposition to his becoming king of Israel. Even after he began to reign, there were many who tried to overthrow him. But through it all, the Lord God Almighty held him in place. "Lord, you have not allowed my foes to rejoice over me."  The Lord protected David throughout all this time. We know he was not a perfect man, but his heart was bent toward worshiping and serving the Lord in gratitude.

David understood the value of being king of Israel. He knew where he had been in life, but more importantly he understood who held him in His hands.  "Lord, you have lifted me up."  The Lord established David in this position and David was not going to forget to give praise for this wonderful grace and favor bestowed upon him.  

As a result of all this, David was determined to "extol," or lift up, the name of the Lord.  We cannot stress too much the value of holding our Lord in high esteem in all our activities. Our worship must be Christ centered for He has lifted us up. He has defeated our foes that would seek to overthrow us and cause us to miss the blessings of peace and joy in our lives. Our service must be Christ centered as we reach out our hands to others to help them.  Christ reached down to give us strength and encouragement. We should be as Peter as he entered the temple that day. The man was asking for a coin from Peter and John. They stopped and Peter said, "Silver and gold have I none. But such as I have give I unto thee:  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk."

There are people all around us who need words of encouragement. We have that word and should be eager to share. David had that word of encouragement from the Lord and he spent time in writing many Psalms to declare the glory of the Lord.  How great is our God!  I will extol my Lord. I will lift up and reach out the name of my precious Lord, Jesus Christ.  Notice David made that determination, "I WILL...."  Sometimes we just need to make the determination that we are going to make every effort to exalt the name of Jesus through our everyday actions.  May the Lord grant us the strength and encouragement to do that very thing. For you see, through it all, He has been faithful to us.

Through It All - by Andrae Crouch

I've had many tears and sorrows,
I've had questions for tomorrow,
there's been times I didn't know right from wrong.
But in every situation,
God gave me blessed consolation,
that my trials come to only make me strong.

Through it all,
through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,

I've learned to trust in God. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...