Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 30:1

Psalm 30:1    "I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me."

David had much opposition to his becoming king of Israel. Even after he began to reign, there were many who tried to overthrow him. But through it all, the Lord God Almighty held him in place. "Lord, you have not allowed my foes to rejoice over me."  The Lord protected David throughout all this time. We know he was not a perfect man, but his heart was bent toward worshiping and serving the Lord in gratitude.

David understood the value of being king of Israel. He knew where he had been in life, but more importantly he understood who held him in His hands.  "Lord, you have lifted me up."  The Lord established David in this position and David was not going to forget to give praise for this wonderful grace and favor bestowed upon him.  

As a result of all this, David was determined to "extol," or lift up, the name of the Lord.  We cannot stress too much the value of holding our Lord in high esteem in all our activities. Our worship must be Christ centered for He has lifted us up. He has defeated our foes that would seek to overthrow us and cause us to miss the blessings of peace and joy in our lives. Our service must be Christ centered as we reach out our hands to others to help them.  Christ reached down to give us strength and encouragement. We should be as Peter as he entered the temple that day. The man was asking for a coin from Peter and John. They stopped and Peter said, "Silver and gold have I none. But such as I have give I unto thee:  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk."

There are people all around us who need words of encouragement. We have that word and should be eager to share. David had that word of encouragement from the Lord and he spent time in writing many Psalms to declare the glory of the Lord.  How great is our God!  I will extol my Lord. I will lift up and reach out the name of my precious Lord, Jesus Christ.  Notice David made that determination, "I WILL...."  Sometimes we just need to make the determination that we are going to make every effort to exalt the name of Jesus through our everyday actions.  May the Lord grant us the strength and encouragement to do that very thing. For you see, through it all, He has been faithful to us.

Through It All - by Andrae Crouch

I've had many tears and sorrows,
I've had questions for tomorrow,
there's been times I didn't know right from wrong.
But in every situation,
God gave me blessed consolation,
that my trials come to only make me strong.

Through it all,
through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,

I've learned to trust in God. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51