Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 32:1-2

Psalm 32:1-2     "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  (2)  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile."

Before these verses mean anything to me, I must first acknowledge that I am a sinner. I cannot say, "I used to be a sinner."  I must acknowledge that I still have that tendency within my carnal mind.  Let's be reminded of the Apostle Paul's words concerning this.  In Romans Chapter 7, Paul was wrestling (along with us as we read it) the fact that he still had to contend with the sin nature that remains within us.  He acknowledges that he hates the sin nature with which he wrestled everyday; yet, the truth is that it remained.  "For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I." (Romans 7:15) Most of us can identify with that statement.  We make a determination that we are going to do better today than we did yesterday. The first thing you know, we have done that which we were determined not to do. Paul came to this conclusion about himself.  "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24) He didn't say he used to be a wretched man; rather he still felt himself to be wretched because of the things that he found himself doing or thinking.

What is the result?  The result of that is a great sense of guilt and remorse. It is at that time that we truly can understand what David was saying in the 32nd Psalm.  "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."  If you have ever felt the forgiving grace of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, then you can say a hearty "Amen" to this statement. There is such a great blessing of relief and a washing sense of God's love that overwhelms us when we can know that the Lord has forgiven us of our sins.  

Now Paul also had something to say about the manner in which our depraved mind can take the above written truth. "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?" (Romans 6:1)  Shall we continue doing those things which bring such guilt and remorse into our hearts in order to experience the grace of forgiveness?  Paul's answer was a resounding, "God forbid!"  No, we are to deny ourselves. We are to turn from the things that take us out of God's will for us. We are to seek to walk with Him in a close relationship.

How can we have that close fellowship with the Lord?  He tells us to "ask, and ye shall receive." Lord, please help me to turn from my own deceitful desires and walk closer to you. You know my heart better than I do. Please Lord, help me to have a pure heart toward you that I might please you and experience your love in a deeper way than ever before.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51