Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 32:1-2

Psalm 32:1-2     "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  (2)  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile."

Before these verses mean anything to me, I must first acknowledge that I am a sinner. I cannot say, "I used to be a sinner."  I must acknowledge that I still have that tendency within my carnal mind.  Let's be reminded of the Apostle Paul's words concerning this.  In Romans Chapter 7, Paul was wrestling (along with us as we read it) the fact that he still had to contend with the sin nature that remains within us.  He acknowledges that he hates the sin nature with which he wrestled everyday; yet, the truth is that it remained.  "For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I." (Romans 7:15) Most of us can identify with that statement.  We make a determination that we are going to do better today than we did yesterday. The first thing you know, we have done that which we were determined not to do. Paul came to this conclusion about himself.  "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24) He didn't say he used to be a wretched man; rather he still felt himself to be wretched because of the things that he found himself doing or thinking.

What is the result?  The result of that is a great sense of guilt and remorse. It is at that time that we truly can understand what David was saying in the 32nd Psalm.  "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."  If you have ever felt the forgiving grace of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, then you can say a hearty "Amen" to this statement. There is such a great blessing of relief and a washing sense of God's love that overwhelms us when we can know that the Lord has forgiven us of our sins.  

Now Paul also had something to say about the manner in which our depraved mind can take the above written truth. "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?" (Romans 6:1)  Shall we continue doing those things which bring such guilt and remorse into our hearts in order to experience the grace of forgiveness?  Paul's answer was a resounding, "God forbid!"  No, we are to deny ourselves. We are to turn from the things that take us out of God's will for us. We are to seek to walk with Him in a close relationship.

How can we have that close fellowship with the Lord?  He tells us to "ask, and ye shall receive." Lord, please help me to turn from my own deceitful desires and walk closer to you. You know my heart better than I do. Please Lord, help me to have a pure heart toward you that I might please you and experience your love in a deeper way than ever before.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...