Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 32:7

Psalm 32:7    "Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah."

Do you ever feel like you just want to run away and hide from the world? I think most of us have had that feeling before, or maybe you are going through it just now. When I was a child, I could not understand when I would hear my father say he wanted to just go into the mountains somewhere and escape all the things of the world.  I think I understand it now. There are times with all the things that are going on in society when I would love to just find a cave somewhere and hide from the world.  I think this must have been Elijah's thought when he went to the Juniper tree and sat down. He asked the Lord to just take him home. He was tired of all the confrontations of life.

He then went to the cave, but the Lord was there with him also. It seemed he was trying to escape everything.  The Lord asked him, "What are you doing?"  He began to pour out his heart unto the Lord concerning all that he had done and experienced. He came to the conclusion that he was the only one left that had any love whatsoever for the Lord.  "And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:  (12)  And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." (1 Kings 19:11-12)  

We sometimes want to hear from the Lord in a life changing, earth shattering voice. Elijah saw and heard the earthquake and the fire, but the Lord was not there. But when he became silent, he heard the Lord speaking to him in that "still small voice."   Oftentimes, it is in the times that we become silent before the Lord that we then hear Him speaking to us. David understood this concept as he wrote the words of today's passage.  "Lord, you are my hiding place. You are my place of escape. You preserve me even when my soul is raging inside because of situations and struggles of life."  But notice what David says after that. "You surround me with songs of deliverance."  

I often quote songs in my devotions. I see many songs and words to songs posted on Facebook. There is something about music that calms the soul, especially music that speaks to us of God's love and care for our lives. When King Saul would become upset, he would call for David to play the harp. The music would soothe and calm Saul's innermost being.  When you feel like you need to escape, I would suggest a quiet place where you can listen to a favorite Christian song that speaks to your heart. Then listen as God uses that music to speak to you in that still - small - voice. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51