Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 32:8

Psalm 32:8    "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye."

Would it be fair to say that many of us expect the Lord to take us by the collar and turn us in the way He wants us to go?  Or, do we expect Him to literally take us by the hand and turn us in His way as our parents did when we were young?  I think most of us, if not all of us, at some point or other have thought of God's direction in that manner.  Remember yesterday, we thought of Elijah and his desire to hear God's voice and direction for his life. He looked to the earthquake to try to hear God's earth shattering voice to tell him what to do. The voice of the Lord wasn't in the earthquake.  He looked to the fire that would destroy anything in his way that would prevent him from following the Lord. The Lord's voice wasn't in the fire. But when he became still before God, there came that small peaceful voice into his heart that told him what he was to do.

In today's passage, God says I will instruct you. I will teach you in the way you are to go. But the way I will teach you is by the directing of my eyes.  How many times in the Word of God do we hear these words, "Seek my face."  We saw one not long ago in the Psalms.  "When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek." (Psalm 27:8) I think the problem for most of us is in trying to determine how we seek the face of God.  I'm not sure I have that answer, but it seems to me that if I am walking in spiritual darkness, then I am not walking according to the face, or the directing eye of God.  If I have sought Him and if I am truly wanting to do His will in my life, then He has promised to guide us.  When he guides us, we can know we are walking in the paths of righteousness "for His name's sake." (See Psalm 23:3)  

The problem that lies within us is that we have trouble making a distinction between doing our own will and doing the will of God.  You see, our own will can be a very loud boisterous voice in our lives. Our own voice (wanting to do what we want to do, instead of what God directs us to do) can cause confusion in our lives. It is at that time that we truly need to "be still" before God and ask Him to guide us in the right path for His glory and to our peace. We sometimes have too much nervous energy to let ourselves be still.

Remember this, when He says He will guide us with His eye:  "He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye." (Deuteronomy 32:10)  The Lord came to us. He drew us unto Himself. He has instructed us and will continue to do so. Here is what you and I must remember: You are "the apple of his eye."  That is a very special place in the heart of God. He loves you unconditionally. He gave His only begotten Son to die for your sins. You can be assured that He will not lead you in the wrong path; rather, He will gently guide you in the way that is right for you. Trust Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51