Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 34:18-19

Psalm 34:18-19    "The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.  (19)  Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all."

A constant reminder for myself and for each one of us, "The LORD is nigh."  He has promised never to leave us and never to be out of "earshot" of us when we cry out to Him.  He is always close by, but it seems He is even so much closer when the heart breaks. It is at that time that we especially need comfort. We need the companionship of our Lord. We need to feel the touch of the Master's hand.  "The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart." Aren't you thankful?

What causes a broken heart?  There is not an easy explanation for that. When we were children, our hearts would break when we didn't get our own way. Maybe some things never change. Maybe it still applies to us as adults.  But a broken heart left to itself tends toward a broken down spirit. A broken spirit tends toward hopelessness. Hopelessness tends toward despair. Despair tends toward...  You see the downward spiral that can take place if we do not seek the closeness of fellowship with our Lord?  

Oh, I can handle that! I can take care of that! I can wait that out! It will get better on its own.  I can cover it with this or that or the other.  But the truth of the matter is that we must seek the help of the One Who knows us better than anyone. What is His name?  "His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."  Where is this One that is our help in times of trouble?  How long does it take for Him to appear to us in our struggles?  "The LORD is nigh."

Without it sounding like a self pity party, I think we all can say amen to verse 19 of today's text. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous."  I can't always look at myself and feel that I am one of the righteous ones; yet, my hope is not in my feelings. I may not feel righteous, but THE RIGHTEOUS ONE calls me a saint.  So whether I feel myself worthy of it or not, because of my righteous Saviour (who endured great conflicts against Himself) I can embrace verse 19 to the fullest extent. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all."  I'm so thankful. Aren't you?

There’s not a Friend like the lowly Jesus:
  No, not one! no, not one!
None else could heal all our souls’ diseases:
  No, not one! no, not one!

Jesus knows all about our struggles;
  He will guide ’til the day is done:
There’s not a Friend like the lowly Jesus:
    No, not one! no, not one!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51