Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 35:1-3

Psalm 35:1-3    "Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.  (2)  Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.  (3)  Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation."

As I read these three verses, my mind goes back to the day of Moses and the children of Israel at the Red Sea.  Enclosed by obstacles that were an impossibility for man to overcome, the Lord stood strong to fight against their enemies.  They were flanked by high cliffs that would be impossible to climb. The Lord made a way and took them between those cliffs. Pharaoh's army was coming behind them. The people of Israel had not been trained to fight. They would surely be overtaken by the accomplished army of Egypt.  The Lord moved the pillar of cloud between Israel and Egypt. It was light for Israel and darkness for Egypt. But still in front of them was the Red Sea. They would surely drown if they attempted to cross.  What were they to do?

It was at that point the Lord spoke to Moses.  "And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.  (14)  The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." (Exodus 14:13-14)   The Lord parted the waters and allowed the people of Israel to cross on dry land. Pharaoh and his army attempted to use that same course to overtake Israel. God caused the waters to go back to their place and drowned the Egyptian army. I wonder if David was thinking about that day of Moses when he cried out, "Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation"    

Have you ever been at the point when you needed to hear the voice of the Lord in your heart telling you that He is your salvation (deliverance).  There are times in our lives when we need to know for certain that God is with us and has control of the situation. When the Lord reminds us of His presence and His power in our lives, there is such a sweet peace that overcomes us. It is, as Paul described, a peace that goes beyond understanding. It is a peace that cannot be described. The peace of the Lord can only be experienced.

David was surrounded by those who were against him. He had no control. He could not prevent them. He could not stop them. He was an accomplished man of war, but he could not do anything to stop the aggression against him. Sometimes, we are surrounded by the aggression of our own thoughts. It may be a situation that we cannot see the way out of, or it may be our own thoughts that prevent us from going forward with our lives. What are we to do?  I usually make a mess of things if I try to remedy it by my own ability.  There is one sure way out and that is to rely upon the Lord. Please Lord, say to my soul (my innermost being) that you are my salvation. You are my deliverance.  There is something about the voice of the Lord that soothes our very souls.

"In the Garden" by Charles Austin Miles

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing
And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51