Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 35:9

Psalm 35:9    "And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation."

Recently, we saw David waiting and longing to hear the voice of the Lord saying to him, "I am thy salvation." (Psalm 35:3)  He then expressed his thoughts concerning those who were persecuting David for no reason.  I will assume the one of whom he was talking about was King Saul.  Because of jealousy, Saul was seeking to destroy David. It seemed he would not be satisfied until David was killed. He took his army out to find David. On at least two occasions, David had the opportunity to slay Saul, but instead he placed his confidence in the Lord and allowed Saul to leave without harm.

But if you read verses 4-8 of this 35th Psalm, you will see David was seeking the Lord's help in dealing with his persecutors.  "Let them be confounded. Let them be turned back. Let them be turned to confusion and their determinations be stopped. Let the angel of the Lord persecute them."  By these words, we can see David was not content to just allow these people to continue in their wrongful actions, but he was not going to become a vigilante. He answered his men and also Saul with these words, "Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed." (1 Samuel 24:10)

It was under these conditions that David cried out, "Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation." And it was due to his great faith in the Lord that he was able to say, "And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation."  How could David be so sure that the Lord would deliver him?  I believe it was because he could look back over his life and see the many times when the Lord intervened on his behalf. I remember, you remember, and I'm sure David remembered over and over again how the Lord delivered him from the bear, the lion, the giant, and so many other dangerous situations in his lifetime. He drew from those experiences to bolster his faith in this time of need.

As you look back over your life, have there been times when you know the Lord delivered you? Has there been one or more times when you know the Lord directly intervened on your behalf to help you?  If so, you can at any time in the future hear the Lord saying to you, "I am thy salvation."  Because of those experiences, you can now say with confidence, "my soul shall rejoice in HIS salvation."  Wait upon the Lord, Wait, I say upon the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51