Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 36:7

Psalm 36:7    "How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings."

I've expressed before that there are times when I feel like I want to escape all the things that are going on in the world. Quite honestly, I'm sick of both sides of political advertisements that accuse one another. Neither of them say what they are going to do because they are too busy accusing each other and putting one another down.  Yes, I want all that to be over. I want to get away from it because there is no lovingkindness in politics and there is no hope of help from either side.  That's my political statement for the day. Pretty hopeless, isn't it?

But wait! There is good news.
 
Near to the Heart of God by Cleland Boyd McAfee

There is a place of quiet rest,
near to the heart of God,
a place where sin cannot molest,
near to the heart of God.

Refrain:
O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
sent from the heart of God,
hold us, who wait before thee,
near to the heart of God.

In this place of quietness and comfort, there is no bickering. There are no accusations. There is no annoyance or disturbance to intrude upon your time of worship and meditation upon the lovingkindness of God.  It is a place of excellence, a place where we can place our absolute trust that our Lord is watching for our good.  It is a place where grace and mercy abound. It is found at the very throne of God and He has given us open access to Him. Jesus put it this way, "Come unto me all ye who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." David describes it as being under the wings of a mother hen who gives herself to protect her young.  "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)

How do we do that?  We sometimes try to complicate things.  For me, it begins with the action of humbling myself to cry out to my Heavenly Father, "Lord, I need you. I need help."  Then very soon I feel the warmth of His grace and mercy filling my very soul. If I may go back to Psalm 35 for this last thought. When I feel His grace filling my heart and mind, I find myself being "joyful in the LORD."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51