Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 37:1-3

Psalm 37:1-3    "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.  (2)  For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.  (3)  Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."

I am constantly amazed at the manner in which the Word of God is consistent with the times in which we live.  I definitely do not buy into the thought that is promoted by Satan that the Word of God is outdated. Quite the contrary, the Word of God is contemporary with our times.  Because of a situation beyond my control, I have been exposed to more television than I care to admit.  The mute button is almost worn out because it is pressed each time a political ad is shown. That amounts to about every five to ten minutes.  It would be quite different if the candidates talked about what they plan to do. But instead both sides want to talk about how bad the other side is.  The reason for that, they want to stir up anger among the voters and have us vote according to emotion rather than fact.

Now, why would I begin a Biblical devotion with that first paragraph. God's Word tells us to "fret not thyself because of evildoers."  Those ads that attempt to stir up anger (and they are successful) are the results of "workers of iniquity".  God has the answer, but quite honestly, we have to contend with our own carnal nature in order to fight our way to that answer.  I have sat here and felt such anger inside myself because of the lies being told or things being exxagerated by both sides.  God says, "Do not fret thyself."   I find myself with thoughts against certain people because I disagree with their stance. God says, "Do not be envious against the workers of iniquity."  Why am I not supposed to allow those things to stir up the emotions within me that take my thoughts away from God?  The answer is simple:  God will take care of the wrongdoers. "For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb."

How can I possibly find peace in my heart during such times of turmoil?  I think probably 75% of my devotions deal with this subject in one way or another. The answer is found in the Word of God.  "Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."  How can I say that I trust the Lord if I am constantly trying to take control of "situations and circumstances" in life? The answer comes to this one thing: Either God is sovereign or He isn't. I believe He is, and therefore I am called of God to "do good and dwell in the land" where God provides every need. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...