Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 37:1-3

Psalm 37:1-3    "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.  (2)  For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.  (3)  Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."

I am constantly amazed at the manner in which the Word of God is consistent with the times in which we live.  I definitely do not buy into the thought that is promoted by Satan that the Word of God is outdated. Quite the contrary, the Word of God is contemporary with our times.  Because of a situation beyond my control, I have been exposed to more television than I care to admit.  The mute button is almost worn out because it is pressed each time a political ad is shown. That amounts to about every five to ten minutes.  It would be quite different if the candidates talked about what they plan to do. But instead both sides want to talk about how bad the other side is.  The reason for that, they want to stir up anger among the voters and have us vote according to emotion rather than fact.

Now, why would I begin a Biblical devotion with that first paragraph. God's Word tells us to "fret not thyself because of evildoers."  Those ads that attempt to stir up anger (and they are successful) are the results of "workers of iniquity".  God has the answer, but quite honestly, we have to contend with our own carnal nature in order to fight our way to that answer.  I have sat here and felt such anger inside myself because of the lies being told or things being exxagerated by both sides.  God says, "Do not fret thyself."   I find myself with thoughts against certain people because I disagree with their stance. God says, "Do not be envious against the workers of iniquity."  Why am I not supposed to allow those things to stir up the emotions within me that take my thoughts away from God?  The answer is simple:  God will take care of the wrongdoers. "For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb."

How can I possibly find peace in my heart during such times of turmoil?  I think probably 75% of my devotions deal with this subject in one way or another. The answer is found in the Word of God.  "Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."  How can I say that I trust the Lord if I am constantly trying to take control of "situations and circumstances" in life? The answer comes to this one thing: Either God is sovereign or He isn't. I believe He is, and therefore I am called of God to "do good and dwell in the land" where God provides every need. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51