Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 37:4-6

Psalm 37:4-6    "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  (5)  Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.  (6)  And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday."

The first six verses of this Psalm speak to us of our relationship and daily walk with the Lord. These verses speak of Trust, Delight, Commitment, and Judgment. Working on these aspects of life brings enlightenment and assurance for us.
Verse three tells us to trust in the Lord and we will find satisfaction and contentment.
Verse four tells us to delight in the Lord and He will give the desires of our hearts.
Verse five tells us to commit our daily walk unto the Lord and He will bring peace and fulfillment.
As we do these three things, He strengthens our ability to make proper decisions.

Our trust and confidence in the Lord grows as we learn more about Him by studying His Word and asking Him to help us apply His Word. I'm simplistic in my approach to studying God's Word, so I begin with a very simple thought. He has said He would never leave us nor forsake us. How can we grow in trusting that very basic promise and all the other great promises of God?  For me, it comes through prayer. I can know He is with me by talking to Him. The more I talk to Him, the more I realize He is also talking to me through His Word in answering my prayers.

The more I realize God's love and care for me, the more I delight in Him.  There is no better feeling that we can experience than to know the presence and love of the Lord. It brings joy into our hearts and minds. We saw back in Psalm 16:11, "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." In the presence of the Lord, there is joy unspeakable and the most pleasurable experiences.  Why would anyone want to run away from the Lord rather than running to Him?  Remember the Prodigal Son. He thought there was more joy in the world away from His father. But where did he ultimately find true delight in life? Was it not back at home with the Father?

When I see that I can trust the promises of God and there is true joy in walking with the Lord, I find myself making the commitment to strive to stay close to Him. Yes, we all make mistakes. Yes, we all are prodigals from time to time, but the more we realize the great truths of these verses, the better our decision making will become. We commit ourselves to doing what the Lord's Word tells us to do which in turn feeds our trust, builds our joy, and bolsters our commitment unto Him.  How great is our God!!

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, "Thus saith the Lord!"

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!

Oh, for grace to trust Him more! 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51