Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 38:5-6, 21-22

Psalm 38:5-6    "My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.  (6)  I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long."

Psalm 38:21-22    "Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.  (22)  Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation."

Have you ever had a heavy heart? We sing that beautiful old hymn, "Are you weary? Are you heavy hearted? Tell it to Jesus!" There are many things in life that can cause us to have heavy hearts. Maybe we felt led to do something and failed to follow through.  Maybe we feel like someone has wronged us. Maybe we lashed out at someone for no reason. Or maybe we have transgressed against the Lord and are seeking forgiveness.

In reading this entire 38th Psalm, it seems David may have been bothered by all of the above. As a result, his sin was as a wound that was corrupt in his skin.  He was looking back at one or more instances where he did something that he knew was wrong. He spoke of his actions as being foolish. The memory of his misdeeds troubled him deeply and the weight of guilt was weighing him down.  His countenance was sad at all times. Maybe you can identify with him. Maybe not.

Even if you cannot identify with the cause of David's weight in his soul, have you ever had a time when you felt the Lord was far away from you.  Maybe it was a time of personal sadness for whatever reason. The result for either scenario is a cry unto the Lord, "Please do not forsake me."  We know the verses. We know that He has said, "I'll never leave you nor forsake you." Yet, there are times when we feel that we have been left alone.

It is during those times that Jesus speaks even more forcibly (if possible) these beautiful words, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) He opens His arms to us no matter the situation and in those arms, we can find love, forgiveness, mercy and grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51