Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 39:4-7

Psalm 39:4-7     "LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.  (5)  Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.  (6)  Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.  (7)  And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee."

Sometimes we live as though our life on earth will never end.  We make decisions and plans as though we will never leave this earth.  It is necessary to lay up in store for things such as retirement or in case of a major illness, but these plans should always include this thought: "If the Lord wills." James stated it in this manner:  "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.  (15)  For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." (James 4:14-15)  

In today's text, David was not asking the Lord to tell him how long he would live; rather, he was needing to be reminded that he was not going to live forever. I'm not certain what was happening at the time David wrote this, but he seemed to be making some determinations as to what he would or would not do. The Apostle Paul wrote concerning this same thing in Romans chapter 7. Paul said, "The very thing that I said I would not do is what I did. And the thing that I said I was going to do is what was left undone." (My paraphrase)  Have you ever had that experience?  Have you ever woken up and said, "Lord, today I'm going to do better than yesterday. I won't make that same mistake again." And then find yourself doing just the opposite?

David summed up the strength and goodness of man in verse 5, "Every man at his best state is altogether vanity."  At our very best, we are nothing. Isaiah spoke of mankind as being a worm. My very best, through my own efforts, is as filthy rags. That is not a popular statement in today's society. We hear much about self-worth and to a degree, we should understand our worth. But in my thoughts, our worth is not found in ourselves; rather in the manner in which our Lord sees us.  Our worth is found in the fact that God loves us so much that He sent His only begotten Son into the world to die for a worm such as I.  

If my best effort is nothing? If my strength is no more than a worm? If my worth is nothing? What hope do I have? David stated it best, "My hope is in thee, (O Lord)"  He is my help and my guide! 

The Solid Rock
by Edward Mote

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51