Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 40:4-5

Psalm 40:4-5    "Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.  (5)  Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."

Are you a blessed person? As I ask myself this question, I have to stop and reprimand myself for not spending enough time thinking about my blessings.  God is so good. We sing a song, "Each step I take my Saviour goes before me, And with His loving hand He leads the way." What a blessing it is to stop and think about the divine and personal interaction which you and I are blessed by the very Creator and Sustainer of this vast universe. I realize that I am not even a drop in the bucket when I consider all the planets, stars, atmosphere, and every other element. The Psalmist wrote concerning this thought back in the 8th Psalm. "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" (Psalm 8:3-4)  Can you place yourself in that position?

The blessings that are heaped upon us daily are more than can be numbered.  Again, we sing the song, "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings, see what God hath done."  Notice the wording of verse 5, "Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward." Yes, God keeps everything in this universe in perfect working order and at the same time, I am continually in His thoughts.  Can I say the same thing about Him?  Is He at the forefront of my thoughts? Do I give Him first consideration in my decisions, my words, my thoughts, and my actions?  His blessings are more than can be counted and should never be taken for granted.

Not only is our God mindful of us, He knows us by name. He has every hair on our head counted. He knows every thought that goes through our minds. He knows our hearts and the intentions of every action we perform. Multiply that by almost 8 billion people. How great is our God!!  If we could just understand the greatness of God and His loving kindness toward us as individuals, there would be no time for complaining, arguing, griping, or wars.  If we could take our minds off ourselves and keep focused upon our Lord, the world would be heaven on earth. God tells us we are blessed if we make the Lord to be our trust and our confidence. Oh, I say I trust Him. But when it gets into the trenches of life, how many times do I try to take the bull by horns and guide life to my own determinations.  But the truth remains, "Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51