Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 40:6-8

Psalm 40:6-8    "Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.  (7)  Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,  (8)  I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart."

"Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened."  As I read this portion of today's lesson, I better understand why the Lord said that David was a man after His own heart.  David listened to the Lord concerning His designed relationship with His people.  David understood the Lord was not after the sacrifices and offerings of the law; rather the Lord was concerned with the hearts of His people.  Why then was the law given to the Lord's people?  Paul also understood the concept of reasoning.  Why was the law given?  "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." (Galatians 3:24) Paul tells us the law was given in order that God's people might realize their need for redemption.  The sacrifices under the law could never make the people perfect in their relationship with God. David understood this great truth. His ears had been opened.

What then was God's plan if the sacrifices under the law could not bring redemption?  David was inspired to give us a portion of the answer. "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." (Verses 7-8)  I say David gave a portion of the answer. But we can go to the New Testament and find the complete answer.  "Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; (9) Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. (10) By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." (Hebrews 10:8-10) Some seem to think that God had to keep coming up with new ways to find redemption for His people. The perfection of the Garden of Eden could not keep mankind. The perfection of the law could not keep mankind. Those things were never intended to be the means of redemption. In Revelation chapter 13, we see that Jesus Christ is that Lamb of God from before the foundation of the world.

When God said, "Let there be Light" in Genesis chapter 1, He already had His plan of redemption in place. That plan?   "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, (5) To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons." (Galatians 4:4-5)  This was the absolute plan of God before He created man from the dust of the earth. Has the Lord opened your ears to understand that your righteousness is found only in the shed blood of Jesus Christ?  Aren't you glad that you are not an afterthought with God?  "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (Jeremiah 31:3)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51