Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 42:1-3

Psalm 42:1-3    "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.  (2)  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?  (3)  My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?"

I love the Psalms for many reasons. First, I love them because they are a part of the inspired Word of God. They are words which God literally breathed into the hearts and minds of the writers. Second, I love the Psalms because they address situations and circumstances of life. I can identify with them as I read them. I feel them to be speaking directly to me in the things which I am experiencing.  The previous Psalm ended with these words, "Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen." (Psalm 41:13)  From the exaltation of the Lord, we find David speaking of a time when he seemingly could not find the Lord.

Have you ever been so thirsty that only a cool drink of water will help? We have many different types of soft drinks, tea, and energy drinks that help to a degree, but only water will help when the thirst is very deep. David gives us a picture of a deer drinking from the water brook. The deer probably has been chased and has barely escaped his life. He seemingly cannot get his fill of water as he drinks and drinks and drinks. David said, "That's how I feel inside. I am thirsty for God and only God can help me."

Notice something else that he is very explicit about: "My soul thirsts for God - FOR THE LIVING GOD." You see, sometimes without even realizing it, we place our confidence in things other than God. This may seem like a harsh statement, but anything that receives our trust and our confidence then becomes our god (with a little g).  David was very specific in stating his need for the only true and living God, the Lord God Almighty.  Other things may give temporary relief, but only God gives true assistance in our times of trouble.

Others were taunting David by saying, "Where is thy God?"  Have we not heard those same words?  The world denies there is a God; yet wants to know where He is when something goes wrong. David is saying, "Just as that deer only has eyes for the true relief of water, my heart and my mind is set upon the true and living God." The world may say all it wants. Tears may flow from my eyes. But my heart is set and my determination is made - GOD IS MY HELP!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51