Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 42:1-3

Psalm 42:1-3    "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.  (2)  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?  (3)  My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?"

I love the Psalms for many reasons. First, I love them because they are a part of the inspired Word of God. They are words which God literally breathed into the hearts and minds of the writers. Second, I love the Psalms because they address situations and circumstances of life. I can identify with them as I read them. I feel them to be speaking directly to me in the things which I am experiencing.  The previous Psalm ended with these words, "Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen." (Psalm 41:13)  From the exaltation of the Lord, we find David speaking of a time when he seemingly could not find the Lord.

Have you ever been so thirsty that only a cool drink of water will help? We have many different types of soft drinks, tea, and energy drinks that help to a degree, but only water will help when the thirst is very deep. David gives us a picture of a deer drinking from the water brook. The deer probably has been chased and has barely escaped his life. He seemingly cannot get his fill of water as he drinks and drinks and drinks. David said, "That's how I feel inside. I am thirsty for God and only God can help me."

Notice something else that he is very explicit about: "My soul thirsts for God - FOR THE LIVING GOD." You see, sometimes without even realizing it, we place our confidence in things other than God. This may seem like a harsh statement, but anything that receives our trust and our confidence then becomes our god (with a little g).  David was very specific in stating his need for the only true and living God, the Lord God Almighty.  Other things may give temporary relief, but only God gives true assistance in our times of trouble.

Others were taunting David by saying, "Where is thy God?"  Have we not heard those same words?  The world denies there is a God; yet wants to know where He is when something goes wrong. David is saying, "Just as that deer only has eyes for the true relief of water, my heart and my mind is set upon the true and living God." The world may say all it wants. Tears may flow from my eyes. But my heart is set and my determination is made - GOD IS MY HELP!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...