Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 42:4-5

Psalm 42:4-5    "When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. (5) Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance."

"I pour out my soul in me."  Do you ever talk to yourself?  I find myself trying to remind myself what I'm supposed to be doing, where I'm supposed to do it, and when I am supposed to do it. That is not what is under consideration in this verse. David is talking to himself about how he feels and trying to figure out why he feels that way.  "I went with them to the house of God with the voice of joy and praise."  "I kept the holyday." The holydays were the times when they went to Jerusalem to observe the feasts which had been ordained by God.  David is saying he has done all the right things, but still he does not feel the joy inside. He used the voice of joy, but the joy was missing.  Have you ever experienced anything like this?

"I pour out my soul in me."   "Why art thou cast down, O my soul?"  Why do I feel this way?  David had experienced many struggles and trials in his life and he had experienced many victorious moments in his life "Why do I feel this way?"  Why do I feel so low in my spirit?  Let's bring this to a personal level. Why do we feel upset within our spirits? There are many legitimate reasons when we feel the props have been knocked out from under us, but many times we have that low feeling because things didn't turn out the way we expected them.  In other words, I didn't get my way so I am going to be upset. I don't know, nor do I pretend to know, why David was feeling so low.  Apparently, he did not have the answer. That's why he cried out to the Lord with the questions of today.

David knew the answer and he shared it with us: "Hope thou in God."  Don't just pour out your struggles to yourself, lay them down at the feet of Jesus. Pour out your heart to the Lord.  I'm thankful for good friends and the privilege to be able to share, but the deepest source of help is found in the Lord.  David, while talking to himself, reminded himself of the answer.  It seems he was standing in front of the mirror and reminding himself, "Things are going to get better." The Lord has a plan for my life. He will show Himself strong on my behalf.  "I shall yet praise Him for the help of his countenance."

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11)

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (Jeremiah 31:3) 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...