Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 42:6-8

Psalm 42:6-8    "O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.  (7)  Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.  (8)  Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life."

It seems that confusion, discouragement, sadness, and so many other negative thoughts can come crashing into our minds at a moment's notice. David was at that place in life. For whatever reason, he was deeply concerned with his state of mind. He felt God had forsaken him and he was left to himself to cope. I pray you have never experienced that. But if you have, David has given us a key to unlock our minds from the negative and place them on the positive.

The first key is to confess our state of mind to the Lord. You might say, "He already knows how I feel." And that is true; yet, there is purpose in our stating, openly confessing, to the Lord that we just don't feel right about life and its circumstances.  "O my God, my soul is cast down within me."  Father, I am concerned about my life and where it has taken me. I am discouraged and cannot seem to find my way back to the right path.  David states twice in this Psalm that the world keeps asking, "Where is now thy God?"  He almost gets carried away with those thoughts. He says In verse 9, "I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me?"

But then he gives us the second key to combat that feeling, "Therefore will I remember thee."  Quite honestly, sometimes we must force ourselves to move outside our discouragement and sadness, to remember the past blessings of the Lord.  David thought back to those places in his life when he knew the Lord had been with him in a most definite manner.  The Lord had met with David in "the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, and the hill Mizar."  He had known at those places the very deep power of God that was manifested to him.  He had called out to the Lord from the depth of his heart and the Lord had heard and answered in great power. It was as David remembered those times, that his hope was renewed . "Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life."

He had spoken it earlier in the Psalm and as he remembered the past blessings of the Lord, David once again spoke this great truth: "Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."  Christ Jesus is our hope!  He has never failed, nor will He ever fail us. May we be as David and stay strong in that hope and assurance that has been given us. Jesus Christ is Lord!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51