Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 46:1-3

Psalm 46:1-3    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  (2)  Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;  (3)  Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah."

There are many things that can happen which turn our lives upside down.  When you think back on the life of David, there are many things that could have caused him heartache and even cost his life.  David was overlooked when Samuel went to David's father to anoint one of his sons as the next king. When David went to the battlefield to check on his brothers, they thought him to be seeking self-glory when he said he would go fight the giant. His own son turned against him. There was trouble within his family for all his life.  There were things that upset him, things that, no doubt, brought much danger to him. I wonder what was going through his mind as he was writing these first three verses.  

If I could use my terminology, it seems David was saying though my feet might be swept out from under me and I fall from the place God has given me, I will not fear.  Though my place of security could be torn down, I will not fear.  Though it seems everything that is dear to me is being taken away, I will not fear. Though I see danger and corruption in every place I look, I will not fear. And then he closes these three verses by reminding himself to think on these things : "Selah"

What was David's reasoning for saying, "I will not fear"?  Was he considering himself to be smart enough to deal with events in life? Did he think himself to be strong enough to deal with the times when he felt his life would be destroyed? Was he thinking all the experiences of life had prepared him for that very moment? Why would David feel confident in saying, "I will not fear"?

The answer is given before he speaks of the circumstances. As I just wrote those words, the thought hit me very strongly... David gave due diligence to the Lord before he ever had to face the storm. Our proper preparation comes in keeping our thoughts and devotion upon the Lord in the good times and then when the storms of life hit, we can better face those things that cause turmoil in our lives.  "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."  He is our hiding place. He is our strength for each day. He is our help in times of trouble. "THEREFORE will not we fear."  I again refer to the verb tense that David used. "God IS (present tense)... therefore we WILL not fear (future tense)." Is God my help when things are going well? Do I trust Him and express my need for Him when everything is going my way? Do I acknowledge Him in all my ways?  "Therefore I will not fear..." when life takes a drastic turn, for I know my God is "a very present help" for me each day.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51