Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 52:7-8

Psalm 52:7-8    "Lo, this is the man that made not God his strength; but trusted in the abundance of his riches, and strengthened himself in his wickedness.  (8)  But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever."

This 52nd Psalm contrasts two individuals. One is a man who has tried to cause trouble for David and the people of Israel.  David said of this man, "Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness." He went on to say that the man loved to devour other people with deceitful words.  In other words, the man was trying to destroy David.  It was during the time when David was trying to avoid Saul because Saul was trying to kill David. This man, of whom David wrote, had gone to Saul with words that were untrue and seeking to rid David from Israel.  But instead of trying to "get even" with the man, David left the situation in the hands of God.  "God shall likewise destroy thee for ever, he shall take thee away, and pluck thee out of thy dwelling place, and root thee out of the land of the living. Selah." (Psalm 52:5)  David knew that God would control the situation in His time and in His way.

The other man, of whom David writes, is himself.  But the contrast really is not between David and the Edomite man. The contrast is between placing trust in worldly things or placing our trust in the Lord God Almighty.  Verse 8 begins with the conjunction of contrast, "But".  The other man would wither up and become useless, David said, "But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God." There is a great lesson for us in this verse.  The world promises us everything but delivers nothing. I think of the prodigal son who got caught up with the lure and limelight of the "lights of the big city". He left his father's house to go into that strange place. We remember where he ended up while out in that place. He began to feed the pigs and eat with the pigs.  He said, "My father's servants have more than enough and here I perish." So he arose and went back home to the father's house where he could once again thrive.

The world offers so many things that will lure us away from the House of God. In my opinion, it is a shame that even children's activities are scheduled at the time God's people are to meet in His House to worship.  I admit I don't have the answer, unless the parents refuse to go at that time. But I believe the Word of God and I believe how David felt in the fact that He trusted the Lord more than the material things of life. If I remember my grammar lessons correctly, verse 8 can also be read in this manner, "In the house of God, I am like a green olive tree." In other words, David was saying it is only in the house of God that I can prosper in the correct manner. In the house of God, my life becomes productive and fruitful and useful. It is in the House of God that I find purpose and fulfillment.

How is it with you and me? Where do we find true fulfillment in life? I believe the Word of God. I believe my place is to be found in the House of God lifting up my heart and my praise unto Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51