Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 55:5-6

Psalm 55:5-6    "Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.  (6)  And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."

Several years ago, I was driving through the countryside at night when suddenly a deer bolted from the woods to my left. I thought it was going to run into the side of my car when it turned and began running parallel to the road. I thought it was strange and had slowed down to watch when I saw three dogs run out of the woods chasing the deer.  I could only imagine how tired that deer must have been as it was literally running for its life. David must have felt the same way as we see so many of his Psalms are filled with sadness and fear. I think he expressed so much of his struggles because he had many people who were chasing him, including King Saul. But David also had his own past that chased after him for the rest of his life.  It was because of this that David expressed these words, "Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me."

When we are overwhelmed with tiredness and fear, we sometimes begin to talk and express our innermost struggles and thoughts.  We also have a tendency to just want to run away from the problems. David was at that point in this Psalm. He was overwhelmed "And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest." I can't handle all this so please just give me wings so I can fly away from all this.

The truth of the matter is that we cannot fly away from struggles and trials in life. But there is a place where we can go to find mercy and grace to help in our times of need. Where could that possibly be?  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)  We have a Saviour Who loves us more than words can express. He loves us so much that the only way to fully express His love was to take our place in dying for us. The beautiful news (Gospel) is that yes, He died for us and was placed in a tomb. He took our sins for which we deserved to die and laid down His life for us. The beautiful part is that after three days and nights, Jesus arose from the dead. His death paid the debt for our sins and His resurrection assured us of freedom from the burden of this old body. Because He lives, we shall live also in a glorified body just as Jesus.

Taking that precious truth, we now can know assuredly that we can go, through prayer, to that Risen Lord and lay our burdens down before Him. We can tell Him about our sorrows, the heaviness of heart, the broken heart, the broken spirit that we are trying to carry.  When we lay them down before Him, He has promised to give us rest. "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:  (7)  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7)  The Word of God then adds to that, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)  Instead of flying away from struggles, let us take them to the Lord and find help. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51