Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 57:7

Psalm 57:7    "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise."

In the first six verses, David speaks of his being placed among those who seek to destroy him. But the overall theme of those verses is concerning the greatness of our God. He is determined that even among such distorted and perverted individuals, his goal was to exalt the name of the Lord.  "Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth." (Psalm 57:5)

Wouldn't it be wonderful and a "world changing" position if all of God's people spent as much time worshiping and honoring God as they ( we - I ) spend doing the things of the world?  As I watched one of the football games recently, I couldn't help thinking about the level of intensity that was placed into that game - by the fans.  What would happen if even half that intensity was placed into worshiping our God?

David said, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise."   I think of three different applications when I see the word, "fixed".  First of all, my heart is "fixed", that is, it has been repaired. Actually it went more than being repaired. My Lord gave me a new heart when He came into my life and gave me the new birth.  I will sing and praise Him because of my new heart. Second, I will use the southern application.  I am "fix'n" to sing and give praise unto the Lord. That means, I am about to start and nothing is going to stop me from praising my Lord for all He has done, is doing, and is going to do for me. And then the third application is what I believe David was meaning in this verse. In that application, David was saying, "My heart is in a fixed position, or set, to worship through song and praise."  That application is like that song, "I shall not be, I shall not be moved."

This morning, how is it with my heart? Is my heart fixed (repaired) and ready to worship? Am I "fix'n" or getting prepared to worship my Lord through song and praise? Am I set in that nothing will prevent me from offering my sacrifices of praise unto my Lord?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...