Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Luke 1:18-19

Luke 1:18-19   " And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.  (19)  And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings."

Zacharias and Elisabeth had been praying for a son. At the appointed time, God sent Gabriel his angel with the wonderful news that their prayer was going to be answered. Today, we see Zacharias' response: "Whereby shall I know this?"  How can I know this is going to happen? "I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years."  My thought just went to Zacharias and his prayers. For years, he had asked God for a son. I'm convinced that at the moment Gabriel appeared to him that Zacharias was pouring his heart out to God for a son. Then suddenly in time, Gabriel appears. "Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard."  Not only was he told that his prayer was heard, but that this son would be "great in the sight of the Lord". Remember what Jesus said about John the Baptist? "Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist." (Luke 7:28)

"Fear not, Zacharias.... thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth."  At the risk of repeating myself - years of praying, years of pouring out his heart unto God, years of waiting, and years of disappointment. Now, suddenly God sends His "chief angel" (excuse me - that's my expression, not the Bible's)... God sends Gabriel to announce the prayer is answered and there will be joy for them and for many others.  What was his response?  "How am I going to do that? How is this going to happen?  My wife and I are too old to have a son."   "And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God." In other words, "Zacharias, it isn't up to you. You asked. God is answering. It is the power of God that will perform this great deed."

How many times have you and I asked God for something and then immediately start trying to plan to accomplish it on our own power? Zacharias knew they could not have a son based upon their own power. He had asked God, but doubted how it would happen when God answered.  If we pray in the will of God, we have the assurance God will answer that prayer. I think, for me, my greatest block to my prayers being answered is trying to determine if it is my will or God's.  And then when I am persuaded it is God's will, am I willing to wait for His timing?

Lord, Please help me never to doubt your power and ability, your grace, mercy, and love for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51