Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Luke 1:46-49

Luke 1:46-49

Yesterday, we saw the response of Elisabeth and John (while still in his mother's womb). They rejoiced at the news of the coming birth of the Messiah. Today's passage is Mary's elation at the work of the Holy Spirit upon her in allowing her to be the vessel by which the Son of God would come into the world. It is important that we understand Mary was a vessel used by God. She was blessed among women to be the human through which the body prepared for the Messiah would enter by natural birth.  Let us look at her words to see her position of humility before the Lord God Almighty.

(Vs. 46)   "And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord."   Her heart and soul was worshiping the Lord even as she was speaking to Elisabeth. She loved her Master and was filled with humility and gratitude that God would use her.

(Vs. 47)   "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."  There was great joy in her heart. Think about this situation. She came to Elisabeth and told her what was happening inside her. Then Elisabeth replied to her as to what just happened inside her.  There had to be great joy and excitement as to what was taking place.  Notice the wording of Mary: This is "God MY Saviour."  Yes, Mary was in need of the Saviour just as you and I have need of Him.  She was carrying in her womb the very One Who would die for her and for all His people.

(Vs. 48-49)   "For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. (49)  For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name."  In no way would Mary ever try to exalt herself; yet, she understood the blessedness that was allotted to her in that she was being used by God.  "The Lord has had thoughts toward me and therefore His favour is upon me. He has done great things to me. He is so Holy and Wonderful."

Though she was unique in the manner the Lord used her to exalt Himself, can you and I take the same thoughts of Mary?  Let's look at them in this manner and see if we can say a loud Amen:

The Holy God, the Lord of heaven and earth, has done great things to me though I am so unworthy. I am blessed. I am highly favoured by the unconditional love of my Lord. I rejoice in His love, mercy, and grace. I want to magnify His Holy Name by my thoughts, words, and actions. I worship you O Lord. I lift up your name above all else. In this season of Christmas, I rejoice that Christ, my Saviour, came into the world to die on that old rugged cross. He has redeemed me by His shed blood. I praise thee O God, for the Son of thy Love. For Jesus Who died and is now gone above. Hallelujah! Thine the glory!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51