Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 62:5-8

Psalm 62:5-8    "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.  (6)  He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.  (7)  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.  (8)  Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah."

In olden times, people called vigilantes would take matters into their own hands to try to bring things to a conclusion of their own liking. They often would go outside the law to accomplish this and yet say they were doing it for the sake of the law. Maybe it was their own laws they wanted to follow. David had many opportunities to do this during the time he was evading King Saul. Instead, he set his heart. Let me use his own words from the Psalm last week, His heart was fixed; that is he was in a set position to seek the Lord, wait on the Lord, and follow the leadership of the Lord in his life.

When troubled times come upon you, where do you set your expectations? Where do you expect to get results in whatever matter you are concerned about?  I admit that just this morning, I was tempted to use the devotion to express a frustration that is on my heart. I even found verses of Scripture that I felt would back up what I was going to say. I went so far as to copy and paste those verses onto this page. The Lord spoke conviction into my heart that I was trying to do things my own way. And then to prove His point, He directed me to these verses of Scripture which were the very next verses that I would have used for a devotion anyway. "Ain't God good?"

"My soul, wait thou only upon God."  My mind says, but what if God doesn't know my need?  Yes, that's my mind. My heart is in agreement with the Word of God which tells me that God knows my need even before I ask. So, I need to stop, take notice, and wait - yes wait upon God. That's the hard part, isn't it? We don't like to wait. We are an impatient lot of people.

I won't comment on the other three verses, but will meditate upon them. After all, these verses are concluded with the word, "Selah".  Think about these things. Meditate upon them as you are waiting upon the Lord to intervene on your behalf.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51