Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 63:1-2

Psalm 63:1-2    "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;  (2)  To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary."

This Psalm was written by David when he was in the wilderness. It seems many, if not most of David's Psalms were written while he was experiencing troubles and struggles in his life. He was separated from family and friends. He had an army with him; yet he felt himself to be alone. Have you ever felt that way? Being surrounded by people and yet feel like you are all alone? It is not a good feeling. Oftentimes, it is not because others have separated themselves from us; rather, we have separated ourselves because of sin. David experienced loneliness at times for both reasons.

It was in these times that he fully needed to know and experience the presence of God's love, mercy, and grace.  "O God, MY GOD, (remind you of Jesus on the cross?) early will I seek thee."  How often have I been guilty of waiting until I'm in the middle of a big mess before I decide to cry out to God? I'm afraid I have too often been guilty of that. David said, "I'm thirsty for God and I'm not going to wait until things get worse before I cry out for His help."

This morning, we had the local news on tv for a little while. In Atlanta, all I heard was murder after murder after murder. Gangs walking the streets at will. There was a song that was popular several years ago which said, "We sure could use a little good news today." (Anne Murray)  That's how I'm feeling this morning on so many different levels. Ever get that way?  "O God, my God, I will seek you. I'm thirsty for something good. I am longing (needing, wanting) you in this dry land that I live. There seems to be no source of refreshing in any direction I look. I want to see your power and your glory. Lord, I've heard of it from your Word while in the church meeting house. I need it in my life today right where I live and walk. I need you Lord. I sure could use a little good news today."

The Lord willing, tomorrow we will continue these thoughts of good news of which David wrote.  Will you join with me today in seeking the Lord's goodness and His presence in our lives and in our world? We surely need the Lord! 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51