Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 63:3-6

Psalm 63:3-6     "Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  (4)  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.  (5)  My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:  (6)  When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches."

(Colossians 3:1-2)    "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  (2)  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

There are legitimate complaints, I suppose. But there are also complaints that come as a result of a wrong mindset, or maybe even as a result of habit.  It can become a habit to only speak negatively of anything and everything.  David had legitimate complaints because of the wrongdoing of King Saul. He also brought upon himself some of the reasons for complaining. But in today's verses, we see the best way to deal with things that we feel do not come up to our satisfaction.

Paul stated it in this manner, "Set your affections on things above." David stated it concerning the "lovingkindness" of God. He said that is better than life itself; therefore we can read into this that David had the same mindset as Paul.  Instead of dwelling on things that I feel are wrong or that I feel have been done wrongly to me, I'm going to think about the goodness of my Lord and His mercy and grace that has been placed upon me.

At night, instead of letting my mind dwell on the bad things on earth, I'm going to meditate upon all the good things that have originated in heaven at God's throne of grace. Speaking for myself, when I can do those things, my soul is satisfied as though I have eaten the very richest part of a steak. When my heart and mind are set upon the goodness of God, how can I keep from praising my God with joyful lips?

Is it worth a try? How about you? Can we agree to exercise ourselves in the things which point all glory and honor unto our Lord? 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51