Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 66:5-7

Psalm 66:5-7    "Come and see the works of God: he is terrible in his doing toward the children of men.  (6)  He turned the sea into dry land: they went through the flood on foot: there did we rejoice in him.  (7)  He ruleth by his power for ever; his eyes behold the nations: let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah."

Selah! Selah! Selah!  Think about what you read. Take time for it to soak in.  There will be those who disagree with what I am about to say, but I prefer the King James Version of the Bible because it requires me to stop, look, and listen to what it is saying.  Yes, the other versions take it down to a lower level where supposedly it is easier to understand.  "Come and see the works of God."  Selah: Stop and think about what you see. Read it. Think about it. Dissect it. Look up the word meanings. Make an application.

For instance, we look at the word terrible, and think of it in negative turns. If we don't like something, we say it is terrible. A storm comes through and we say it was a terrible storm.  The Word of God says that God's works toward us are "terrible in his doing toward the children of men."  Does that mean everything God does for us is terrible or has a negative connotation?  Absolutely not! This is where (for me) the King James Version makes me think and actually apply the principles of studying God's Word. In this context, the word terrible means His works are to be held in reverence, or deep respect. That's quite a difference, isn't it?  Someone might say, "Why go to all that trouble of looking up the meaning rather than just read something that someone else has already done?"  For me, it makes all the difference in the world for me to apply that word, "Selah", as I read the Word of God.  [I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this. But since I'm writing, I get to express my thoughts with a smile.]

So, with that principle of study, I look at verse 6 and begin to dissect it as it applies to me.  "He turned the sea into dry land: they went through ..."  I hold this thought as a terrible one; that is, I hold it in deep respect and honor. This tells me that God makes a way where there is no way. We know it is speaking of the children of Israel at the Red Sea.  They felt trapped with no way out. God parted the waters and they walked across on dry land.  Have you ever felt that your back was against the wall with no way to move?  Suddenly, the answer opened up right in front of me.  Yes, God's works toward us are never to be taken for granted; rather, they are to be held in honor as we exalt our Lord in our hearts and minds.

"God rules by his power."  We save ourselves much worry and heartache if we can get this basic truth established in our hearts and minds. Yes, God rules! God is in control: "let not the rebellious exalt themselves."  SELAH  

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51