Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 68:20

Psalm 68:20   "He that is our God is the God of salvation; and unto GOD the Lord belong the issues from death."

"He that is our God..."  Who is the "our" in this verse?  I could get into a deep theological discussion concerning this but I simply want to say as the Apostle Paul, "they that are Christ's at his coming." (1 Corinthians 15:23)  The answer lies with those for whom Christ died and will spend all eternity with Him.  But I want to go even a little deeper than that. Who is the "our" that speaks of the Lord God Almighty as "our God"?  Let us look back to the events and things spoken by Jesus on the cross.  Jesus cried with a loud voice, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"  If your God is the same as the God to Whom Christ cried out as He was on the cross, then you can say that the "our God" in Psalm 68:20 includes you and Jesus. I can say that the "our" of verse 20 is Jesus and me. He is "our God".

Our God is the God of salvation; and unto Him belongs "the issues from death."  In this passage, written a thousand years before Jesus went to the cross, David is saying that only to, yes ONLY to, "our God" belongs the issues from death; that is, only our God can deliver us from the spiritual death in which we were born.  We were dead in trespasses and sins and could not bring ourselves out. We were dead in trespasses and sins and had no self desire to bring ourselves out. In fact, when we were dead in trespasses and sins, the things of God were foolishness to us.  See 1 Corinthians 2:14.  Some might say, "I don't ever remember a time when I did not love God."  I won't deny that. We saw in the past couple weeks that John the Baptist was born of the Spirit of God while still in Elisabeth's womb. But even for John, the sin nature had to be dealt with. He had to be born again by the Spirit of God. You and I had to be born again of the Spirit of God in order to understand and rejoice in the great truth of Psalm 68:20.

Unto God belongs the issues (deliverance, the going out) from death.  Aren't you thankful that you can look at that verse and say along with Jesus, "My God! My God!"  What wondrous love is this that our God loves us and has delivered us even though we are undeserving.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...