Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 69:12-13

Psalm 69:12-13    "They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards.  (13)  But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation."

David's life was filled with struggle. It seemed every way he turned, there would be someone who opposed him. There were those of the Philistines who opposed him because he had slain their champion named Goliath. King Saul opposed him because of his fits of jealousy. Many people of Israel opposed him because Saul opposed him. There were times when his own family opposed him. And finally, there were times when David opposed himself because of bad decisions that he had made.

The elders of the city opposed him.  In most towns where I have lived, the local diner has a table where mostly retired men sit and drink coffee each morning.  Some of them even have their own cups that hang on the wall and they drink from that same cup every morning. As they come together, they discuss all the current events and try to come up with solutions. Those referred to in verse 12 who sit in the gate were the aged men of the city. These were men who sat at the gate of the city who met on a daily basis and would discuss the problems of the world. No doubt on many days, they went home thinking they had solved all the problems they were aware of.  But these men of Jerusalem held a very special place in the hearts of the people. They held them in high esteem and respect and would often go to them for advice. David said those men of wisdom would only speak against him. The town drunks sang songs about David which, to say the least, were not complimentary.

As I sit here typing about these individuals, I am asking myself, "What would I do in that situation?" How would I react, or respond, to these acts of criticism. Acts of criticism, which by the way, were undeserved by David.  If I were king for the day, what would I do to these people? How would I allow my anger to be shown in such a way that not only would they learn a lesson, but everyone else in town would see and know?  Would I make them to be a public spectacle?  I'm afraid there are days when that might be my action of recourse.

How did David respond? "But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD."  He was saying, "Their criticisms do not disturb me nor does it make me want to ask them what should I do in order to appease all thoughts of anger against me."  No, he understood there was a source of wisdom that was much higher than that which was found in man. "My prayer (my request for wisdom, guidance, and direction) is unto thee, O LORD."  I will go directly to the source of all mercy, grace, and love. And Lord, I will wait for your answer.  Lord, in your mercy please hear me and please share with me the truth of your salvation (deliverance).  Lord, I wait for you.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31) 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51