Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 69:18-20

Psalm 69:18-20    "Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.  (19)  Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee.  (20)  Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none."

A closer reading of this Psalm reveals to us that it is a prophecy concerning our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  The very next verse (verse 21) speaks of them giving Jesus vinegar to drink as He hung on the cross.  I do not want to discount that at all, but I do want us to think of a practical application of these verses for us.

David expresses that he was heartbroken. His very soul was heavy because of all the things that were happening to him. He had been reproached even by the elders of the city. They had held him in their eyes as a dishonorable man. David knew his integrity and intentions concerning all his actions.  As far as sinful man can be, David was pure in his intentions toward the Lord and the Lord's people. But at this point, he seems to be a very lonely king of the people. He is walking spiritually through "the valley of the shadow of death."  He is committed to seeking the Lord's help and only the Lord's help.

"Draw nigh unto my soul."  The word, soul, has different meanings depending on the context. The meaning in this passage lends itself to the soul meaning David's mind. His mind was troubled as was expressed in verse 20, "I am full of heaviness."  Where is it manifested if you feel heavy within yourself?  Does it not weigh heavy on your mind when things are troubling you?  David could know that he belonged unto the Lord in a relational manner. He was a child of God and nothing would take that away from him.  I believe another way David expressed this type heaviness was back in Psalm 51 when he said, "Restore unto me the JOY (emphasis mine) of thy salvation."  Restore unto me. Draw nigh unto me. Redeem it. Free my soul, my mind, from this heaviness.

Have you ever felt this type of heaviness?  It may be different circumstances, but most of us have at one time or another experienced this heaviness of mind. Aren't you glad that our Lord has made Himself fully available to us to give us release from this mental and spiritual anguish?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  (29)  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."  (Matthew 11:28-29)

Tell It to Jesus   by Jeremiah Rankin


Are you weary, are you heavyhearted?
Tell it to Jesus,
Tell it to Jesus;
Are you grieving over joys departed?
Tell it to Jesus alone.

Chorus:
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus,
He is a friend that's well known;
You have no other such a friend or brother,
Tell it to Jesus alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51