Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 69:18-20

Psalm 69:18-20    "Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.  (19)  Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee.  (20)  Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none."

A closer reading of this Psalm reveals to us that it is a prophecy concerning our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  The very next verse (verse 21) speaks of them giving Jesus vinegar to drink as He hung on the cross.  I do not want to discount that at all, but I do want us to think of a practical application of these verses for us.

David expresses that he was heartbroken. His very soul was heavy because of all the things that were happening to him. He had been reproached even by the elders of the city. They had held him in their eyes as a dishonorable man. David knew his integrity and intentions concerning all his actions.  As far as sinful man can be, David was pure in his intentions toward the Lord and the Lord's people. But at this point, he seems to be a very lonely king of the people. He is walking spiritually through "the valley of the shadow of death."  He is committed to seeking the Lord's help and only the Lord's help.

"Draw nigh unto my soul."  The word, soul, has different meanings depending on the context. The meaning in this passage lends itself to the soul meaning David's mind. His mind was troubled as was expressed in verse 20, "I am full of heaviness."  Where is it manifested if you feel heavy within yourself?  Does it not weigh heavy on your mind when things are troubling you?  David could know that he belonged unto the Lord in a relational manner. He was a child of God and nothing would take that away from him.  I believe another way David expressed this type heaviness was back in Psalm 51 when he said, "Restore unto me the JOY (emphasis mine) of thy salvation."  Restore unto me. Draw nigh unto me. Redeem it. Free my soul, my mind, from this heaviness.

Have you ever felt this type of heaviness?  It may be different circumstances, but most of us have at one time or another experienced this heaviness of mind. Aren't you glad that our Lord has made Himself fully available to us to give us release from this mental and spiritual anguish?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  (29)  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."  (Matthew 11:28-29)

Tell It to Jesus   by Jeremiah Rankin


Are you weary, are you heavyhearted?
Tell it to Jesus,
Tell it to Jesus;
Are you grieving over joys departed?
Tell it to Jesus alone.

Chorus:
Tell it to Jesus, tell it to Jesus,
He is a friend that's well known;
You have no other such a friend or brother,
Tell it to Jesus alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...