Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 70:1-5

 Psalm 70:1-5  (1)  Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O LORD.  (2)  Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt.  (3)  Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha.  (4)  Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified.  (5)  But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.

From the beginning, there have been those who secretly attempted to reign and rule outside of God's prescribed manner.   Cain slew Abel. There were those who attempted to overtake the rule that had been given to Moses and Aaron.  We definitely know the Scribes and Pharisees fought back against Jesus because they thought he had come to take their place. (Actually, Jesus did come to take the place of His people - on the cross.)  In every government, including the Roman Empire, people have always attempted to overthrow the legitimate government in order to take power to themselves.

David's prayer today concerns this very thing. Ungodly people were attempting to overthrow him as king.  David knew this was true. In fact, the people were pretty open and public about their desire to take David off the throne.  Be assured, David could have called upon his army to destroy them, but his trust in the Lord became his strength.  Notice his prayer:  "Lord, help me. Let them be ashamed and filled with confusion. Lord, turn back those who, behind cover, laugh because of their plans to destroy the kingdom."  

And then, "Lord, allow those who seek you to rejoice and be glad in seeing your work as you deliver us from their destruction. Lord, we magnify your name. I have nothing in my hand to bring to you Lord other than a broken heart. I give that to you and declare to you, and to all people, you are my help and my deliverer."

Think about this prayer from the king.  Not once did he try to exalt himself or his position; rather, he was fervent in praising the Lord and declaring His trust and confidence in Him.  This prayer is  sufficient for every situation that we might find ourselves that seems to be overthrowing our fellowship with the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51