Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 71:23

Psalm 71:23    "My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed."

This 71st Psalm is a beautiful Psalm and one that we should take with us each day. Throughout this Psalm, David sings of the glory of the Lord.  I'm reminded of the Church Camp Song:  "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord."  (James H. Fillmore)

Let's see what some of these mercies were that moved David to write this song. Of course, first we know He was moved by the Holy Spirit to write these words inspired by God.  David was rejoicing in the fact that God hears our prayers. Isn't it wonderful to know we serve the only true and living God Who does His will among the armies of heaven and the inhabitants of earth?  He rejoiced in the stability and security that is found only in the Lord.  The Lord gives life and sustains it by His mercy and grace.  He is a very present help to each of us. We do not have to take a number or stand in line for God to hear our cries unto Him.  

We read in verse 21, "Thou shalt increase my greatness."  As I read this portion of the verse, my mind can take me to a dangerous place where pride dwells. I say it can take me there if I focus on the last two words, "my greatness."  If I think of myself as doing great things, then I can swell with pride. We know what the Lord says about pride. "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18) But this passage becomes beautiful when taken in its full context. "Thou (God) shalt increase my greatness."  Humility becomes a part of our daily walk as we persist in placing God before any of our actions. If there is anything good or great about me, it belongs unto the Lord.  It is because He has added any greatness that might be in my life.

The conclusion of this Psalm consists of David declaring His determination to praise and honor the Lord God Almighty. Lord, you have redeemed me; therefore, I will greatly rejoice and my lips, heart, and soul shall sing of your mercies. You are worthy of praise! "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord."

How about you? Can we make a determination that this is the year of praise and glory and honor unto the Lord?  You might say, should that not be every year?  Yes, it should. But can we be as David in making the determination, "My lips shall greatly rejoice."  My lips shall greatly praise.  "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51