Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 71:23

Psalm 71:23    "My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed."

This 71st Psalm is a beautiful Psalm and one that we should take with us each day. Throughout this Psalm, David sings of the glory of the Lord.  I'm reminded of the Church Camp Song:  "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord."  (James H. Fillmore)

Let's see what some of these mercies were that moved David to write this song. Of course, first we know He was moved by the Holy Spirit to write these words inspired by God.  David was rejoicing in the fact that God hears our prayers. Isn't it wonderful to know we serve the only true and living God Who does His will among the armies of heaven and the inhabitants of earth?  He rejoiced in the stability and security that is found only in the Lord.  The Lord gives life and sustains it by His mercy and grace.  He is a very present help to each of us. We do not have to take a number or stand in line for God to hear our cries unto Him.  

We read in verse 21, "Thou shalt increase my greatness."  As I read this portion of the verse, my mind can take me to a dangerous place where pride dwells. I say it can take me there if I focus on the last two words, "my greatness."  If I think of myself as doing great things, then I can swell with pride. We know what the Lord says about pride. "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18) But this passage becomes beautiful when taken in its full context. "Thou (God) shalt increase my greatness."  Humility becomes a part of our daily walk as we persist in placing God before any of our actions. If there is anything good or great about me, it belongs unto the Lord.  It is because He has added any greatness that might be in my life.

The conclusion of this Psalm consists of David declaring His determination to praise and honor the Lord God Almighty. Lord, you have redeemed me; therefore, I will greatly rejoice and my lips, heart, and soul shall sing of your mercies. You are worthy of praise! "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord."

How about you? Can we make a determination that this is the year of praise and glory and honor unto the Lord?  You might say, should that not be every year?  Yes, it should. But can we be as David in making the determination, "My lips shall greatly rejoice."  My lips shall greatly praise.  "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...