Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 72:1

Psalm 72:1    "Give the king thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the king's son."

As I read the entire 72nd Psalm, I realized two things: First, David was bothered throughout his life. He was either hounded by those who despised him or he was hounded by his own depraved nature with which he constantly battled. I can identify with that. Can you?  Second, David was constantly seeking the Lord's help in his struggles. He realized that in the middle of conflict, wrong decisions can be made. He was constantly seeking the help of the Lord. I can identify with that also, although I should be more diligent than I am. Can you? Those two facts are the basis for my love for the book of the Psalms. Through these inspired words, my Lord meets me where I am in life. Can you appreciate that great truth?

David understood the importance of Divine help in his time of trouble. He wrote of the Lord being a very present help. Do you ever get tired in your struggles of life?  Do you find yourself looking around to see where help is going to come from? David learned the important lesson of looking up for his help. This Psalm is thought to be the last Psalm written, though it is not the final one that is in the book of the Psalms. It was written at the last, but placed here in the middle of all the Psalms.

If you take a few moments to read the entire Psalm, you will see David spends the time writing of the Saviour who, at that time, was still yet to come. He was blessed to be able to write in prophetic words concerning the coming Messiah. I believe that was the source of all his comfort. Let's quickly look at some of his thoughts in this Psalm:

(Psalm 72:12)    "For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper."
(Psalm 72:17)    "His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed." 
(Psalm 72:19)    "And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen."

David found comfort in these thoughts by asking the Lord to help him with daily decisions. You and I can find that same comfort by the help of the Lord as His name disperses all my doubts and fears.  "I need thee, O I need thee. Every hour I need thee. O bless me now my Saviour, I come to thee." (words by Robert Lowry)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...