Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 72:1

Psalm 72:1    "Give the king thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the king's son."

As I read the entire 72nd Psalm, I realized two things: First, David was bothered throughout his life. He was either hounded by those who despised him or he was hounded by his own depraved nature with which he constantly battled. I can identify with that. Can you?  Second, David was constantly seeking the Lord's help in his struggles. He realized that in the middle of conflict, wrong decisions can be made. He was constantly seeking the help of the Lord. I can identify with that also, although I should be more diligent than I am. Can you? Those two facts are the basis for my love for the book of the Psalms. Through these inspired words, my Lord meets me where I am in life. Can you appreciate that great truth?

David understood the importance of Divine help in his time of trouble. He wrote of the Lord being a very present help. Do you ever get tired in your struggles of life?  Do you find yourself looking around to see where help is going to come from? David learned the important lesson of looking up for his help. This Psalm is thought to be the last Psalm written, though it is not the final one that is in the book of the Psalms. It was written at the last, but placed here in the middle of all the Psalms.

If you take a few moments to read the entire Psalm, you will see David spends the time writing of the Saviour who, at that time, was still yet to come. He was blessed to be able to write in prophetic words concerning the coming Messiah. I believe that was the source of all his comfort. Let's quickly look at some of his thoughts in this Psalm:

(Psalm 72:12)    "For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper."
(Psalm 72:17)    "His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed." 
(Psalm 72:19)    "And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen."

David found comfort in these thoughts by asking the Lord to help him with daily decisions. You and I can find that same comfort by the help of the Lord as His name disperses all my doubts and fears.  "I need thee, O I need thee. Every hour I need thee. O bless me now my Saviour, I come to thee." (words by Robert Lowry)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51