Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 73:16-18

Psalm 73:16-18    "When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;  (17)  Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.  (18)  Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction."

I think most of us have experienced to some degree or another the thoughts expressed by the writer of this Psalm.  He had allowed himself to observe the ungodly and wicked people who were prospering. He knew they had obtained their gain by cheating and treating people in a terrible manner.  Let's look at some of his thoughts:

Verse 3 - "I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked."
Verse 5 - "They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men."  
Verse 6 - They are full of pride
Verse 7 - They have more than they could possibly ever use. The implication is that they hoarded their money to themselves when they could have used it to help others.
Verse 11 - They blasphemed against God, thinking they were getting away with all that they were doing.

(Psalm 73:13-14)    "Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.  (14)  For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning."  In these two verses we see the danger of allowing ourselves to look at and even seek to be like the ungodly.  The writer is saying, "Here I am, trying to do my best to do the right thing. I try to treat people in the right manner. I share the things in my possession in order to lift others up.  What has it gotten me?  'I am plagued and chastened every morning."  In other words, he was saying "I have all but wasted my time trying to do the right thing. I might as well join them and be like them."

That is such a dangerous approach to life. It may be that he was being chastened by God because he had allowed himself to become envious of the wicked.  But then, the Lord did not simply chasten him and leave him in that state. No, the Lord showed him the end of those who are the ungodly and wicked. When I "went into the sanctuary of God, I understood their end."  God will take care of His own and He will direct the ungodly into their final place.

It seems that the directive by Joshua fits into this Psalm.  "Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.  (15)  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:14-15)

Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder why it should be thus all the day long
While there are others living about us, never molested, though in the wrong
Farther along we'll know all about it; farther along we'll understand why
Cheer up, my brother; live in the sunshine, we'll understand it all by and by
Words by W.B. Stevens

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...