Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 73:23-26

Psalm 73:23-26     "Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.  (24)  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.  (25)  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.  (26)  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."

Loneliness is a terrible condition. David was constantly surrounded by individuals who counseled him, protected him, befriended him, and sadly those who sought to overthrow him.  There is a saying that says, "It's lonely at the top."  Can I tell you that it's lonely at the bottom, in the middle, or wherever you may be on the ladder of life?  A person can be surrounded by a multitude of people and still be lonely. David had been contemplating those who sought gain in life by cheating and swindling others. He had allowed himself to become somewhat despondent until he went into the sanctuary (fellowship) with the Lord.

David realized the importance and the blessing of turning to the Lord. He was reminded that he was not alone. The Lord was holding his hand. The Lord was giving him proper and righteous counsel in making right decisions. There is a glorious joy when we follow the Lord's direction for our lives. But even more than that, David was reminded of the Lord's preparation for him for all eternity. "Lord, you will guide me through this life and afterward, you have laid up in store for me a glorious inheritance." Peter reminded those people who were being persecuted because of their faithful stand in the Lord Jesus.  Peter spoke of "... an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:4) His point to those individuals was the same as David was writing, "Do not let the ungodly cause you to sway from the course God has laid down for you." Paul would state it this way, "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)

Whether it be the king or someone who feels persecuted because of their love for the Lord or someone who simply is trying to do the right thing, you can be assured that the Lord will never forsake you. He will never turn from you or walk away from you.  Being reminded of the Lord's faithfulness, David exclaimed, "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee." The modern saying for this goes something like this, "When you come to the place where God is all you have, then you find out that you have all that you need."  How can that be true? Be assured of the statement previous to that, "Thou (God) shalt guide me with thy counsel."  The Lord will place you where you need to be and equip you to serve Him in a manner that is proper and good for you and for those around you.

One last thought: "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."  Because of my weakness, I may get discouraged. I may become fearful. I may feel like I need to turn back. "But God is the strength of my heart." We can always draw from Him for the grace and mercy that is needed each day. He will never turn us away when we seek Him.  The Lord is "my portion for ever."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51