Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 75:1

Psalm 75:1   "Unto thee, O God, do we give thanks, unto thee do we give thanks: for that thy name is near thy wondrous works declare."

"We give thanks."  The thought of gratitude should always be very close to our hearts and minds. "O God, we do give thanks unto thee."   For what am I thankful?  I thank God for my family. He is so good to us in every way.  I look around and I know I do not deserve nor am I worthy of the very least of His blessings; yet, in His mercy and grace, my God rains down showers of blessings upon me every single day. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks." I am blessed with a wonderful church family. I know I do not deserve nor am I worthy of such a blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks." I am blessed with wonderful friends. I know I am not worthy nor do I deserve such a blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."  I am blessed to be able to pick up my Bible and begin to read God's love letter addressed directly to me. I am not worthy nor am I deserving of such a wonderful gift of my Lord communicating with me "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."  My lungs take in oxygen and the blood stream delivers the right amount to every single cell in my body. My mind is able to operate on somewhat of a normal level. I am able to get out of bed and function in somewhat of a normal routine. "I am fearfully and wonderfully made."  And I know I am not worthy nor do I deserve such a wonderful blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."

I am truly grateful for each of these blessings and so many more than I can't even name. But as I read today's verse I am made even more aware of the greatest blessing of all: "Thy name is near." I have the tremendous blessing of being able to call upon the blessed name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  He has blessed me with the measure of faith whereby I know that when I call upon Him, He will hear and answer according to His design and purpose for my life. I love the song by Bill Gaither that expresses my heartfelt approach to my Lord.  "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus; there's just something about that name. Master, Savior, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain; Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, let all Heaven and earth proclaim Kings and kingdoms will all pass away, But there's something about that name."

When I am distressed or struggling with issues of life, the name of Jesus dispels all fears. That name gives to me "strength for today; bright hope for tomorrow" (Great is Thy Faithfulness) and yes, "there's something about that name."  I am so thankful for Him! Aren't you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...