Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 75:1

Psalm 75:1   "Unto thee, O God, do we give thanks, unto thee do we give thanks: for that thy name is near thy wondrous works declare."

"We give thanks."  The thought of gratitude should always be very close to our hearts and minds. "O God, we do give thanks unto thee."   For what am I thankful?  I thank God for my family. He is so good to us in every way.  I look around and I know I do not deserve nor am I worthy of the very least of His blessings; yet, in His mercy and grace, my God rains down showers of blessings upon me every single day. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks." I am blessed with a wonderful church family. I know I do not deserve nor am I worthy of such a blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks." I am blessed with wonderful friends. I know I am not worthy nor do I deserve such a blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."  I am blessed to be able to pick up my Bible and begin to read God's love letter addressed directly to me. I am not worthy nor am I deserving of such a wonderful gift of my Lord communicating with me "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."  My lungs take in oxygen and the blood stream delivers the right amount to every single cell in my body. My mind is able to operate on somewhat of a normal level. I am able to get out of bed and function in somewhat of a normal routine. "I am fearfully and wonderfully made."  And I know I am not worthy nor do I deserve such a wonderful blessing. "Unto thee, O God, I give thanks."

I am truly grateful for each of these blessings and so many more than I can't even name. But as I read today's verse I am made even more aware of the greatest blessing of all: "Thy name is near." I have the tremendous blessing of being able to call upon the blessed name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  He has blessed me with the measure of faith whereby I know that when I call upon Him, He will hear and answer according to His design and purpose for my life. I love the song by Bill Gaither that expresses my heartfelt approach to my Lord.  "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus; there's just something about that name. Master, Savior, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain; Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, let all Heaven and earth proclaim Kings and kingdoms will all pass away, But there's something about that name."

When I am distressed or struggling with issues of life, the name of Jesus dispels all fears. That name gives to me "strength for today; bright hope for tomorrow" (Great is Thy Faithfulness) and yes, "there's something about that name."  I am so thankful for Him! Aren't you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51