Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 77:19-20

Psalm 77:19-20     "Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known."

"Thy way is in the sea."  There are times when the Lord directs us to do something that just doesn't make sense to us. At the risk of seeming like I'm lifting myself up, I want to share an experience that I had about a year ago. There was a time when the local establishments could not find enough help. Some businesses had to close down permanently because they could not serve their customers. If you remember, during that time when fast food restaurants only served through drive through services. They would take one order, or sometimes two, at a time. They would fill that order, and then take another order. 

I was at the local Wendy's and when it became my time to order, I pulled to the speaker. The lady asked if I would wait before placing my order. While I was sitting there, another car pulled up behind me that apparently did not realize the manner they were filling orders. I sat, waiting for the lady to ask for my order. My window was down and I could hear what was happening behind me in the other car. Someone sitting in the car was impatiently hitting the side of their car and I heard him say, "He's just sitting there!" This went on for several minutes. Finally the lady took my order and guess what?  Yes, the car behind me was that second order and she took their order immediately.

As I pulled up to the window, my mind was stewing. Yes, preachers have emotions also. At least this preacher does.  I could feel my blood pressure rising because of the manner the person behind me had been acting. Suddenly, the Lord spoke to my heart and said.... (are you ready for this?)... The Lord spoke to me and said, "Pay for their order."  I said, "What? Did you not see and hear how that man was acting?"  The second time, "Pay for their order." I still was being stubborn, but when He said it the third time, I asked the lady how much did the car behind me owe?  I paid for their order.

"Thy way is in the sea."  That didn't make sense to me. And I can't tell you that I went away from there with such a wonderful, warm, glowing feeling inside me because I had paid for their order. I have no idea how they reacted when they were told it was paid for and quite honestly, that's not any of my business. I hope they were thankful and glad, but if they weren't, it's okay.  The Lord's way is in the sea and even though it was with reluctance, I stepped into the water of His way and did what He told me to do.  That experience surfaces in my memory from time to time and I'm not sure why.  But I have a satisfaction in my heart that says, I did what He told me to do.

"Thy footsteps are not known." I have no way of knowing the purpose for that encounter, but I pray in some way that God received glory and honor, while maybe easing some hearts and minds as a result.  Maybe one thing the Lord taught me is that I do not need to know the outcome, I just need to follow His outflow of direction into my heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...