Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 77:19-20

Psalm 77:19-20     "Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known."

"Thy way is in the sea."  There are times when the Lord directs us to do something that just doesn't make sense to us. At the risk of seeming like I'm lifting myself up, I want to share an experience that I had about a year ago. There was a time when the local establishments could not find enough help. Some businesses had to close down permanently because they could not serve their customers. If you remember, during that time when fast food restaurants only served through drive through services. They would take one order, or sometimes two, at a time. They would fill that order, and then take another order. 

 I was at the local Wendy's and when it became my time to order, I pulled to the speaker. The lady asked if I would wait before placing my order. While I was sitting there, another car pulled up behind me that apparently did not realize the manner they were filling orders. I sat, waiting for the lady to ask for my order. My window was down and I could hear what was happening behind me in the other car. Someone sitting in the car was  impatiently hitting the side of their car and I heard him say, "He's just sitting there!" This went on for several minutes. Finally the lady took my order and guess what?  Yes, the car behind me was that second order and she took their order immediately.

As I pulled up to the window, my mind was stewing. Yes, preachers have emotions also. At least this preacher does.  I could feel my blood pressure rising because of the manner the person behind me had been acting. Suddenly, the Lord spoke to my heart and said.... (are you ready for this?)... The Lord spoke to me and said, "Pay for their order."  I said, "What? Did you not see and hear how that man was acting?"  The second time, "Pay for their order." I still was being stubborn, but when He said it the third time, I asked the lady how much did the car behind me owe?  I paid for their order.

"Thy way is in the sea."  That didn't make sense to me. And I can't tell you that I went away from there with such a wonderful, warm, glowing feeling inside me because I had paid for their order. I have no idea how they reacted when they were told it was paid for and quite honestly, that's not any of my business. I hope they were thankful and glad, but if they weren't, it's okay.  The Lord's way is in the sea and even though it was with reluctance, I stepped into the water of His way and did what He told me to do.  That experience surfaces in my memory from time to time and I'm not sure why.  But I have a satisfaction in my heart that says, I did what He told me to do.

"Thy footsteps are not known." I have no way of knowing the purpose for that encounter, but I pray in some way that God received glory and honor, while maybe easing some hearts and minds as a result.  Maybe one thing the Lord taught me is that I do not need to know the outcome, I just need to follow His outflow of direction into my heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51