Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 77:2-3

Psalm 77:2-3    "In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.  (3)  I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah."

Recently, we saw that God hears and He answers our prayers. But may I say He answers them in His time and in His way. I am writing this for my own benefit as much as anyone else. Our hearts know the truth of verse 1. Let's review it just now: "I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me."  God listens when we cry out to Him. There can be no doubt about that, but there are times when we feel that either God has not heard or He is not giving an answer.  Sometimes our feelings cause our spirits to be overwhelmed. Selah. Think about this.. our feelings, our natural mind with which we must contend every day, our feelings cause our spirits to be overwhelmed.  This is when we find ourselves in that dark valley, struggling to get through each day, or even each minute of each day. Our feelings can cause great turmoil in our lives. 

There are days when my feelings try to discourage me from looking at the verses of the day. There are days when my feelings try to discourage me from writing my thoughts. There are days when I think it is useless to spend this time each morning. I don't write these things to try to get a response from anyone; rather, I'm simply saying no one is exempt from the feelings that the Psalmist expressed in these verses.  We all have spent sleepless nights with something on our minds for which we desperately needed help. No matter how much we try, sleep escaped us. The more we try to push those things out of our minds, the more awake we become. We pray about it. We cry out for help from the Lord, but nothing seems to happen.  

The chronological order that follows these initial worries and struggles in the night brings us to a very dark place where we begin to question God's love for us. The writer of the Psalm had such questions. "Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more?  (8)  Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore?  (9)  Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah." (Psalm 77:7-9)  Think about these questions that can easily slip into our minds that cause our spirits to be overwhelmed.  The Psalmist was asking questions such as this:  "Has God thrown me away? Is He never going to have anything to do with me again?  Did He forget His promises? Has He forgotten grace? Is He mad at me?"  Then the writer concludes with that word we encounter quite often: "Selah"  Think about these questions and the absurdity of them.

So what is the answer? He gives it to us. "I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.  (12)  I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.  (13)  Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?  (14)  Thou art the God that doest wonders: thou  hast declared thy strength among the people.  (15)  Thou hast with thine arm redeemed thy people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah." (Psalm 77:11-15) Though the event had not taken place at that time, the Psalmist is telling us there is one way to combat those absurd questions that come into our minds when we are struggling. What is that way?  What did Jesus say about Himself?  "I am the way, the truth, and the life."  The way to avoid those questions that overwhelm us is to be overwhelmed by the love of God. They are overcome by looking back to the One Who hung on the cross on Calvary's Hill.  Turn your eyes away from the struggles to the One Who redeemed you by His blood. Look to Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...