Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 78:5-7

Psalm 78:5-7    "For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:  (6)  That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:  (7)  That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments"

"For he established a testimony in Jacob."  The "he" in this verse refers back to God.  "God established a testimony in Jacob."  What kind of testimony was established? If you go back to the book of Genesis and look at the life of Jacob, he felt he could go through life using his own ingenuity. In other words, he tried to cheat his way through life. He cheated his twin brother out of his birthright. He deceived his own father into giving him the blessing that actually belonged to Esau. He cheated his father in law out of livestock.  It seems he thought himself to be a prosperous man in the sight of the world.

Was this the testimony established in Jacob? No, it wasn't. Jacob thought himself to be prosperous until the Lord came to him in a dream. Jacob began to see himself as he truly was as the Lord began to reveal himself to him.  When Jacob began to see the Lord, he realized how helpless he truly was. Jacob stopped depending upon himself and began to lean upon the promises of the Lord. "You said you would surely do me good." Jacob completely depended upon that promise.

The story of Jacob is much more involved than this devotion will go today, but the lesson that is ultimately learned in Jacob is found in verse 7 of our text: "that they might set their hope in God."  If Jacob could speak to us today, his testimony might go something like this. I wasted most of my life trying to do it my way. It just didn't work. But I finally learned the key to a satisfying life of contentment after the Lord showed His goodness to me. Learn to lean upon the Lord in all your ways and He will direct you in the right paths of life. Don't hesitate to ask Him for His guidance and assistance in life.

"I Can't Even Walk Without You Holding My Hand"  by Cody Johnson

I thought number one would surely be me
I thought I could be what I wanted to be
I thought I could build on life's sinking sand
But I can't even walk without you holding my hand

I thought I could do a lot on my own
I thought I could make it all alone
I thought of myself as a mighty big man
But Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...