Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 81:10-13

Psalm 81:10-13    "I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.  (11)  But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.  (12)  So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.  (13)  Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"

Verse 10 is amazing to me. "Open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it." This is speaking of an act of faith on behalf of God's people. It can only be done when we stop to realize the truth of our Redeemer, Lord and God.  There is only One Who can give liberty to us. There is only One Who can deliver us from the bondage of bad habits and actions that we allow to consume us. There is only One Who can take away that which binds us to our detriment and releases us into the freedom of His holy Presence. We don't have to guess who that is. "I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt."

Once we can come to the absolute truth of that within our hearts, then we can call upon Him in faith believing that He is able to do all things. Notice the wording of the Lord to us, "Open thy mouth wide." Do we sell ourselves short by trying to direct God as to how He should answer our prayers?  Do we open our mouths (our needs, our desires) as He directs us, or do we think we have the answers and want God to do things according to our plans and our design?  God says, "Open your mouth WIDE."  How can we do that? For me, it has come through the avenue of first praising Him and then submitting myself to His will. Jesus gave us the perfect pattern for our prayers: "Nevertheless not my will, but thine be done."  Lord, may your will be done for me according to your plan and purpose for my life.

"But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me." Isn't this a sad statement? God says, "Open to me and I will fill." His people, not the godless people, but His people "would not hearken to (his) voice."  To incorporate some of my favorite verses, God has said, "I love you with an everlasting love. I know the plans that I have for you to bring to a place of peace." Jesus said, "I am come that they might have abundant life.... But my people would not hearken to my voice." In other words, we think we know better than God how our lives ought to be lived.

"Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"  How is it working out for us to try to do it our way?  All you have to do is turn on the daily local news and you can see it just isn't working for us. Isn't it time that we, as God's people, turn to Him with mouths (needs, desires) wide open seeking HIS WILL and HIS WAY for our lives?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51