Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 81:10-13

Psalm 81:10-13    "I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.  (11)  But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.  (12)  So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.  (13)  Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"

Verse 10 is amazing to me. "Open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it." This is speaking of an act of faith on behalf of God's people. It can only be done when we stop to realize the truth of our Redeemer, Lord and God.  There is only One Who can give liberty to us. There is only One Who can deliver us from the bondage of bad habits and actions that we allow to consume us. There is only One Who can take away that which binds us to our detriment and releases us into the freedom of His holy Presence. We don't have to guess who that is. "I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt."

Once we can come to the absolute truth of that within our hearts, then we can call upon Him in faith believing that He is able to do all things. Notice the wording of the Lord to us, "Open thy mouth wide." Do we sell ourselves short by trying to direct God as to how He should answer our prayers?  Do we open our mouths (our needs, our desires) as He directs us, or do we think we have the answers and want God to do things according to our plans and our design?  God says, "Open your mouth WIDE."  How can we do that? For me, it has come through the avenue of first praising Him and then submitting myself to His will. Jesus gave us the perfect pattern for our prayers: "Nevertheless not my will, but thine be done."  Lord, may your will be done for me according to your plan and purpose for my life.

"But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me." Isn't this a sad statement? God says, "Open to me and I will fill." His people, not the godless people, but His people "would not hearken to (his) voice."  To incorporate some of my favorite verses, God has said, "I love you with an everlasting love. I know the plans that I have for you to bring to a place of peace." Jesus said, "I am come that they might have abundant life.... But my people would not hearken to my voice." In other words, we think we know better than God how our lives ought to be lived.

"Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"  How is it working out for us to try to do it our way?  All you have to do is turn on the daily local news and you can see it just isn't working for us. Isn't it time that we, as God's people, turn to Him with mouths (needs, desires) wide open seeking HIS WILL and HIS WAY for our lives?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...