Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 84:5-6

Psalm 84:5-6    "Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.  (6)  Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools."

There are certain phrases that I, personally, have problems with. Some of them are well-worn phrases that are thrown out without much thought.  Sometimes we hear it said, "Well, God would not have allowed this to happen to you if you weren't strong enough to handle it." Or sometimes we hear, "You are strong and will get through this." The problem with that is found in the truth that none of us are strong enough to get through any situation in life without the mercy and grace of God.  No, you are not strong enough. I am not strong enough. But in our precious Lord, we can find grace and mercy to help in time of need.

Hear the words of Jesus to the Apostle Paul and then Paul's response to those worrds: "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  If any human had been spiritually strong enough to handle any situation, I think it would have been Paul. But he knew he couldn't handle that which was bothering him. What did he do?  He took it to the Lord. Even though the Lord would not remove it, He did give grace (strength) enough for Paul to endure.

"Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee (O Lord)... Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well..."  What did the Psalmist mean by using "the valley of Baca" as an example of the strength of the Lord being sufficient? The word, "Baca", literally means mourning, weeping, or tears shed.  Let's use the example of Paul again. What was his response when Jesus gave grace (strength) to Him instead of relief from suffering?  "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." Paul was passing through the valley of Baca in a spiritual sense, but he turned it into a well of grace when he realized the mercy of our Lord was upon Him.

I'm not writing this as one who has perfected this great truth. I'm writing it to remind myself and anyone else who may be passing through a dark valley of life just now. I'm not strong enough to handle a situation. I admit it. But I pray I have spiritual wisdom to know the Lord is my Shepherd and He is my strength. I pray that using that knowledge and the desire for fellowship with Him that my "valley of Baca" (mourning, tears, weeping) will be turned into a well (source) of grace from which I can draw each day.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."  (Hebrews 4:16)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...