Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 80:1

Psalm 80:1    "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock; thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth." 

"Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel." Have you ever had a time when you felt God was not hearing  your prayers?  Did you ever feel like you were wandering around with no purpose or goal in sight? Have you ever had that spiritual emptiness inside?  I think we all have those moments when we feel like we are having to travel this road of life alone. Even when surrounded by loving caring family, church family, and friends, there can be that feeling of a need for fellowship with the Lord.

"Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock."  "The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want." I know He provides every need. I know He has a plan to bring me to His place of peace of heart and mind. I know He loves me. I know there is no lack of mercy and grace that is found in my LORD. "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel." You led Joseph to the place where you had prepared for him. Oh, but wait... he first had to go into the pit where his brothers did away with him. He first had to be falsely accused and imprisoned by those he had faithfully served. But you, O Lord, shepherded him to the place where he was able to best serve you and his brothers.

"Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that dwellest between the cherubims." The cherubims, which are referred to in this verse, speak of the cherubims that were carved out of the gold that made the mercy seat. It was between these cherubims that the offering of blood was made once a year for the atonement of the people of Israel. You and I are blessed to understand this was pointing us toward the shed blood of the Good Shepherd of our souls, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Let us summarize what we can see in these verses. The Lord is our Shepherd. He leads us like a flock of sheep. Understand those sheep cannot know or understand where their shepherd is taking them. They only know that there will be green pastures, smooth flowing waters, and everything needed to sustain, maintain, and even flourish in life. Joseph had no way of knowing the Lord had a place prepared from the pit to the throne of Egypt. Neither those men who carved the cherubim or the high priests who sprinkled the blood of the lambs on the mercy seat could ever have known that they were ultimately being led to the Shepherd of their souls. But God knew. God understood. God led them along the path of life.

When I cry out, "Give ear, O Lord," I need to think upon these things. I am a little lamb. The Lord Jesus Christ is my Shepherd. He knows where He is taking me and He has the power to get me to that place. Yes, ultimately heaven is where He is taking us, but I believe He has places prepared along the way that reveal to us and remind us that His love is eternal and His grace is supernal.  I want to trust Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51