Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 86:1-4

Psalm 86:1-4    "Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.  (2)  Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.  (3)  Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.  (4)  Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."

My first instinct is to ask, "Have you ever felt a need for the Lord as this Psalmist is expressing?" But as I type that first question, I should really ask, "Is there anyone who has never felt such a need for the Lord?" In the past months, there have been times when I have received the answer to my prayer even as I would finish praying. In those needs, I have cried out for mercy and I know He has heard me for the answer came immediately.  As the answer for relief came, my heart has been filled with joy for I know the Lord heard and answered. There are other requests for which I am waiting for the answer. I know that in His time He will give the answer that is right according to His purpose and His timing.  It is in those times that I cry out for preservation and for perseverance in faith, believing His love, mercy, and grace are all sufficient. It is that knowledge of His faithfulness that I can rejoice even as I wait for the answer.

Forgive me for being personal in my devotion this morning, but I pray someone who may also be in a season of need will be encouraged to seek the Lord. I cannot tell you how many times in the past 49 years that I have heard Judy quote this verse to me and to our children:  "I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4) She has lived by this verse and one other verse that has been our family's verse: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)  Sometimes those "all things" consist of waiting upon the Lord while still seeking Him.  Through Christ, I can rejoice while waiting upon the Lord while still seeking Him because He is my strength and my help.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51