Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:14-15, Psalm 89:1-2

Psalm 88:14-15    "LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?  (15)  I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted."

Psalm 89:1-2     "I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.  (2)  For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens."

Recently, I mentioned the life of the child of God is like a roller coaster ride. Today, I picked two verses from Psalm 88 to show that very contrast when seen in comparison with the two verses from Psalm 89.  In the first set of verses the question is asked, "Why hidest thou thy face from me?"  Then we read in the beginning of Psalm 89, "I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever!"  I realize these two Psalms were written by different individuals, but it also shows the variation of emotions that we experience from day to day. 

The writer of Psalm 88 was experiencing a feeling of being cast away by God. I use the word, feeling, because we know the truth of God's Word teaches us that He will NEVER leave us nor forsake us. But our feelings try to convince us that God has removed Himself from us. Then immediately in Psalm 89, we read of rejoicing and experiencing the mercies of the Lord. Is that not the manner in which our lives seemingly go from the highs to the lows over and again.

May I share the difference between the two Psalms, as I see it? And in my own experience I have found this to be true - The writer of Psalm 88 has his perspective set upon himself. Psalm 89 begins immediately with a perspective of the goodness of the Lord. His heart and mind is directed toward the Lord God Almighty.  If I am looking at myself in the mirror, I see a vile sinner. But if I am looking through the eyes of the Lord, I see a sinner saved by the sovereign grace of God. And yes, there is a big difference in perspective and in the results of my heart. In my own ability, I have no hope. But when I look from the viewpoint of God's Word, I see the blessed assurance of the finished work of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  

As we continue in this 89th Psalm, we will see visions of the work of Christ. As a result of these visions, the Psalmist could begin by singing, "I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever!"  Could it be that if we sing of the Lord's goodness and mercy more often instead of looking at ourselves that we would find He has already lifted us from the pit of darkness?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51